Protecting illegal immigrants and no 'outsiders': California enacted several immigrant laws
California Governor Gavin Newsom signs a package of laws in support of California's immigrant communities and removed the obsolete word "alien" from state codes, according to Official website of the Governor of California.
Governor signed AB 1096, which repeals the derogatory term "alien"used to describe foreigners living illegally in America.
The Governor also signs five additional bills to protect California's immigrant safety and strengthen protection against discrimination.
“As the most diverse state in the country, we are stronger and more active because of our immigrant communities,” Newsom said. “This important law removes the word“ alien ”, which is not only offensive to humans, but has fueled discord and offensive associations for too long. By changing this term, we are ensuring that California's laws reflect our state's values. ”
AB 1096, authored by Assemblyman Luz Rivas, will replace “foreigner” with a term that more closely reflects current legal terminology, such as “noncitizen” or “immigrant”. The term "alien" has been used to refer to persons who were not born in the United States by the federal government since 1798, and in California since 1937. In the 1990s, the word “foreigner” began to be used as a political “red rag” and to express fanaticism and hatred, although it did not involve the use of traditional racist expressions. By 2015, the term was officially changed to “non-citizen,” however, “alien” is still widely used in many aspects of California law.
In addition, Newsom signed a number of bills to protect the health and safety of immigrants, including legislation clarifying security standards in illegal detention facilities, ensuring the rights and protection of unaccompanied illegal minors, and strengthening the protection of immigrants from hate crimes.
In addition to AB 1096, Governor Newsom also signed:
1. AB 263 Member of Assembly Dr. Joaquin Arambula (Democrat from Fresno), which requires private detention centers, including those used to house and hold immigrants in California, to comply with local health authorities. The document also requires private operators to comply with Cal / OSHA workplace safety rules and regulations.
2. AB 600 the authorship of the same Arambula makes crimes against people because of their immigration status hate crimes, which will exacerbate the responsibility for such actions.
You may be interested in: top New York news, stories of our immigrants and helpful tips about life in the Big Apple - read it all on ForumDaily New York.
3. AB 1140 Assembly Member Robert Rivas ensures that all children housed in licensed state institutions, including unaccompanied illegal minors, will be under the jurisdiction of the Office of the California Foster Care Commissioner and thus receive all the resources and protection to which they are entitled under with state law.
4. SB 334 Senator Maria Elena Durazo (Democrat from Los Angeles), who requires private commercial detention centers operating in California to adhere to basic health and safety standards for people in those facilities and maintain minimum levels of insurance coverage associated with medical care, professional responsibility and liability for violation of civil rights.
5. SB 714 Senator Anna Caballero (Democrat from Salinas), who is amending California's electoral code, allowing some illegal aliens, in particular “dreamers”, to be elected or appointed as members of the central committees of California districts. The Dreamers are the beneficiaries of the DACA program, which protects against deportation of illegal immigrants brought to the United States by children.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 486 [name] => governor [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => gubernator)Governor
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 6393 [name] => state of California [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => shtat-kaliforniya)state California
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 29260 [name] => Governor Newsom [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => gubernator-nyusom)Governor Newsom
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 29261 [name] => new bill [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => novyj-zakonoproekt)new bill
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 29262 [name] => Support for immigrants [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => podderzhka-immigrantam)Support for immigrants
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 29263 [name] => new term [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => novyj-termin)new term
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 29264 [name] => Alien [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => alien)Alien
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 29265 [name] => Outlander [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => chuzhestranec)Stranger
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 29266 [name] => new laws in support of illegal immigrants [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => nrvye-zakony-v-podderzhku-nelegalov)New laws in support of illegal immigrants
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the United States. We have big plans, we do not want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.