Power outage, snow and icing: a powerful winter storm is approaching Texas
This week, the weather in parts of Texas will be like a rollercoaster - it will be warm and sunny, or frosty with snow storms. All this is due to the arrival of cold Arctic air masses. According to experts, the peak of the winter storm is expected from Texas to Maine on January 21-22. Writes about it CNN.
“75 to 35 sounds like car power, but the numbers are not in miles per hour. This is the temperature range in Houston over the next few days (degrees Fahrenheit/+23,8-1,6 Celsius. – Ed.),” said meteorologist Chad Myers.
And it's not just that the state will plunge into the cold. A cold front will stretch from the south of the region to the north of Maine. And temperatures will drop well below average in the eastern half of the United States this time of year.
“In Corpus Christi, Texas, the temperature reached 19 degrees (80 Celsius) on January 26,6, but dropped sharply by the evening of January 20,” meteorologist Dave Hennen said. “On average, the city only gets ice or snow every three or four winters.”
Icy weather in Texas
The thought of another icy disaster in Texas is likely alarming after last year's ice storm that damaged public infrastructure and killed dozens of people.
Luckily, this doesn't look like the previous huge ice storm, although there's a good chance there will be a winter storm along the south Texas cold front.
"Much of south Texas will be covered in snow," the Brownsville office of the National Weather Service tweeted.
A winter storm warning covers the southern part of the state from Austin to Brownsville.
“Those planning to go outside should be prepared for potential ice buildup on exposed surfaces such as sidewalks, bridges and overpasses,” the Austin weather service said.
In some isolated areas, ice may accumulate on the roads, but it looks like most of the icing will be on open surfaces.
В D.C. and New York are also likely to have some light snow.
In Nashville, Tennessee, light rain is expected, turning into ice, and snow accumulation is formed.
While total snowfall does not appear to be significant, winter weather during commuting hours can often create problems.
In New York, it is likely that rain will turn to snow as the front moves.
Coastal Carolina could freeze over too
Along the same cold front, freezing rain is likely in Carolina on the night of January 20-21, and heavy icing is possible on January 21 in eastern North Carolina.
You may be interested in: top New York news, stories of our immigrants and helpful tips about life in the Big Apple - read it all on ForumDaily New York
"A winter storm in east Carolina and south Texas is not something that happens every day," the Greenville, South Carolina meteorological office tweeted.
The total amount of wet snow can grow up to 2 inches (5 cm), and ice - from one tenth to three tenths of an inch.
"Possible power outages and damage to trees," the Raleigh, North Carolina office of the National Weather Service warned.
The biggest risk of winter precipitation is expected on the night of Friday to Saturday (January 21-22).
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- February 11, 2021 in Texas there was a car accident involving more than 100 vehicles. Several people died. According to the authorities, the car accident happened because of a storm and icing of the road.
- With the storm approaching temperatures dropped to record lows, millions of people left without electricity, heating and water supply.
- And already February 18 the air temperature has reached -22 degrees Celsius. In the houses, the walls and furniture began to be covered with ice. US President Joe Biden declared a state of emergency in the state.
- People burned books and furniture in fireplaces: Russian-speaking residents of Texas told ForumDaily how they survived the terrible frosts.
- Despite widespread power outages, Texas residents began to receive fabulous electricity bills in the thousands of dollars.
- The family of an 11-year-old boy who died as a result of a cold snap in Texas, has filed a $ 100 million lawsuit against energy companies. Christian Pineda's mother found him dead in a cold mobile home.
- Frost death toll from February winter storm in Texas and power outages reached 111 people. Most deaths are due to hypothermia. People also died through car accidents or because of the failure of medical equipment, chronic diseases that worsened, lack of oxygen in the home, falls, fire, and carbon monoxide poisoning when they tried to heat the room.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 200 [name] => Texas [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => tehas)Texas
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 25834 [name] => winter storm [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => zimnij-shtorm)winter storm
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 27234 [name] => Incidents [taxonomy] => category [slug] => kriminal)Incidents
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.