Virologist gave valuable advice on how to avoid getting COVID-19 during a pandemic
Dr. James Robb gave important tips on how to protect yourself from infection during the coronavirus pandemic. Dr. Robb is a recognized expert in the field of biological samples with more than 50 years of experience in the field of molecular pathology, virology and genetics. He is a pathologist consultant at the US National Cancer Institute and the Department of Biological Repositories and Biological Sample Research. James Robb published an open letter "What am I doing in connection with the approaching pandemic of the coronavirus COVID-19", reports Slippedisc. Next - from the first person.
Dear colleagues, some of you may remember that when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California, San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes contained in the virus. Since then, I have followed research in the field of coronavirus and its many clinical transfers to the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS) from various animal sources.
Current forecasts for its distribution in the United States are only approximate due to insufficient data worldwide, but most likely it will be widely distributed in the United States by mid-late March and April.
Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions that I use during our flu seasons, with the exception of the mask and gloves.
1) NO HANDSHIP! Use other ways to say hello - nod, punch, elbow, etc.
2) Use only your fist to touch the light switches, elevator buttons, etc. Raise the gas dispenser with a paper towel or use disposable gloves.
3) Open the door with a closed fist or thigh - do not touch the handle with your hand unless there is another way to open the door. Especially important for toilets and doors in public places.
4) Use disinfectant wipes in stores when available, including wiping handles and a child seat in food carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10–20 seconds and / or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing more than 60% alcohol whenever you return home from ANY place where other people have been.
6) Keep a disinfectant bottle at each entrance to your home. And in your car for use after refueling or touching other contaminated objects when you cannot immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if there is no other option. Clothing on your elbow will contain an infectious virus that can be transmitted up to a week or more!
This virus spreads in droplets when coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you!
But all the surfaces where these droplets land are contagious on average within a week - everything connected with infected people will be infected and potentially contagious.
The virus is on the surface and you will not get infected if no one coughs or sneezes directly on your exposed face.
This virus has only cellular receptors for lung cells (it only affects your lungs). The only way you can get the virus is by getting through your nose or mouth from your hand, coughing or sneezing the infected into your nose or mouth.
How to prepare for the US pandemic now:
1. Stock up on latex / nitrile gloves (choose the right size for your family) for shopping, using the gas pump and all other outdoor activities when you come in contact with contaminated sites.
2. Get enough disposable surgical masks and use them to avoid touching your nose or mouth (we touch the nose / mouth 90 times a day without knowing it!)
This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is specific for the lungs.
The mask will not prevent the virus from getting directly into your nose or mouth when sneezing - it will only protect you from touching your nose or mouth.
3. Stock up on hand sanitizers. Hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and contain more than 60% alcohol in order to be effective.
4. Buy zinc tablets. It has been proven that these lozenges are effective in blocking the growth of coronavirus (and most other viruses) in the throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times a day when you begin to feel ANY onset of symptoms. It is best to lie down and let the candy dissolve in the back of the throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze Lollipops is one of the available brands, but there are others.
On the subject: Tax season 2020: trump pushed back filing due to coronavirus
I, like many others, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably restrained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. People have never seen such a virus before and do not have immunity from it. Great efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Incredible molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT this year there will be NO medicine or vaccines that could protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.
I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You can share this letter.
Good luck to all of us!
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 26429 [name] => pandemic [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => pandemiya)pandemic
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28340 [name] => coronavirus [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => koronavirus)coronavirus
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28347 [name] => Special projects [taxonomy] => category [slug] => specproekty)Special Projects
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28353 [name] => Coronavirus 2019-nCoV [taxonomy] => special [slug] => kitajskij-koronavirus)
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28455 [name] => COVID-19 [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => covid-19)COVID-19
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
No one in the world expected a coronavirus pandemic, but she came in disrupting the usual rhythm of life and work of billions of people, causing panic and uncertainty about tomorrow.
ForumDaily also faced financial difficulties due to the loss of some advertisers due to the economic downturn and quarantine. But we are not reducing the number of materials and the mode of operation, since we want our readers to receive timely and up-to-date information in this difficult time. In addition, we support Local small businesses in the USA that suffer the most.
But ForumDaily is also a small business. Despite the loss of part of the income, we are doing our best to ensure that you are informed and armed with all the necessary knowledge to counter the pandemic and resolve other important issues during quarantine.
To maintain this rhythm of work, we need your help. We will be grateful for any amount that you are willing to allot to support our team.
Let's face the crisis together!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the option "Priority in the show" - and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.