Home tests for the detection of coronavirus appeared in the USA: what is the price of the issue
Since coronavirus testing 2019-nCoV in the United States continues to lag behind testing in other heavily affected countries such as South Korea, several US startups have created the first home tests, reports Fox News.
In line with new recommendations to help combat the 2019-nCoV virus, these startups have been given the green light by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
One such test provider is San Francisco-based Nurx. She is best known for testing sexually transmitted infections. The company now offers to order the COVID-19 disease test kit by mail for $ 181 after filling out an online symptom form.
“We do not assess the severity of symptoms, but only check for their presence. They can range from light to heavy, Nurx spokeswoman Allison Hoffman said. “But people with really serious symptoms should also seek immediate medical attention. In terms of temperature, we determine that if a person has a body temperature of 100,4 degrees Fahrenheit (+38 Celsius) or higher, there is a chance that they have contracted the 2019-nCoV virus. "
After completing the online survey, Nurx will determine the need for home-based testing based on human symptoms and will send the test by mail in an accelerated manner.
Nurx can provide customers with laboratory test results within 48 hours of receiving the test.
By Friday evening, March 20, the Nurx website announced that it would open on March 21 in the morning.
How accurate is the 2019-nCoV home infection test
Due to the short trial period for these tests during the crisis, there was concern about their accuracy.
Tests for the presence of the virus should be carried out not only in a timely manner, but also samples should be taken from the right place in the nose and throat.
Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Institute for Translational Research, said false negative results are highly likely.
“If you sample yourself correctly, it’s not a very pleasant feeling. You might get the impression that you are trying to gag yourself, ”he said.
Representatives of Nurx report that their test uses an oral smear, which is more convenient for independent use.
Topol added that, in his opinion, 48 hours is too long waiting time for test results.
However, startups, according to company representatives, have gone through all the necessary steps to offer them to consumers.
“You may not be sick enough to go to the emergency room, you may not have severe shortness of breath, but you have cold and flu symptoms, and you live with your mother, who is 75 years old and has heart problems. And you know that if you have the 2019-nCoV virus, then you can kill her, ”said Caesar Javakherian, co-founder and medical director of primary care startup Carbon Health. "You may be in your twenties and you won't die from this, but we're just trying to reduce the chances of you infecting someone in your family."
Texas-based Everlywell Medical Diagnostics is also launching 30 units of home tests, available on Monday, March 000rd.
“We plan to conduct testing and diagnostics for a quarter of a million people a week. However, this process will take not a couple of weeks, but several months, ”the company said.
On the subject: Why coronavirus doesn't start an apocalypse: calming statistics
Startups may also be limited to test supplies.
“Supply chain anxiety is a real issue,” said Robert Mordkin, US medical director at LetsGetChecked, which also conducts testing for 2019-nCoV infection. "In fact, we are talking about how many deliveries our partners will be able to carry out, and we, frankly, do not know."
As of Friday, March 20, 138 people in the United States were tested for the 500-nCoV virus. It has been found that more than 2019 people have contracted the infection.
As reported by ForumDaily:
- A new virus was discovered in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019. In 2020, it covered all continents except Antarctica. On March 11, US President Donald Trump imposed a ban on entering the United States from EU countries. The ban came into force on Friday, March 13, and will last at least 30 days. In particular, it will concern people who have visited the Schengen area over the past 14 days.
- March 13 Trump due to coronavirus introduced a nationwide emergency regime in the US.
- On March 11, WHO recognized the situation with the coronavirus pandemic, which covered more than 110 countries. Symptoms of Coronavirus COVID-19 Disease Available here.
- Virologist's tips on how to protect yourself from infection - link.
- Taking advantage of the panic in the society because of the epidemic, fraudsters came up with several schemes to deceive victims of personal data and money. The most common ones can be found here.
- Having succumbed to panic due to a state of emergency, Americans are massively buying toilet paperbut they cannot explain why they need it during the epidemic.
- Trump has signed into law on paid leave due to coronavirus. Who can count on paid leave, read here.
- Read all news about coronavirus in our special project.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 2610 [name] => health [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => zdorove)health
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5404 [name] => startup [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => startap)Startup
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 23176 [name] => tests [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => testy)Tests
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28340 [name] => coronavirus [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => koronavirus)coronavirus
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28353 [name] => READ ABOUT CORONAVIRUS [taxonomy] => special [slug] => kitajskij-koronavirus)
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.