Already 42 death: US Medical Association calls for ban on electronic cigarettes
The U.S. Medical Association calls for an immediate ban on all electronic cigarettes and vape devices. 42 people died in the USA because of them. Writes about this Daily Mail.
A leading US healthcare authority called for an immediate national ban on all vaping devices.
The American Medical Association (AMA) said that the number of deaths associated with the use of electronic cigarettes “shed light” on how little experts know about electronic cigarettes.
The ban will result in all products not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ceasing to sell.
This ban will include all vape devices that are currently on the market, because none of them has been reviewed or approved - despite the fact that they have existed for more than ten years.
The FDA has been criticized more than once for not checking electronic cigarettes and repeatedly rescheduled a deadline test.
42 deaths were related to vaping. In total, 2172 people with lung diseases associated with vaping were hospitalized in the USA. Almost all states except Alaska, Washington, and Puerto Rico were affected by the disease — there were no reports of such cases in these regions.
The casualties of the victims are compared to the injuries of soldiers who were attacked during the First World War.
“The recent outbreak of lung disease has alarmed doctors and public health authorities. She shed light on the fact that we have very little evidence of short-term and long-term health effects caused by electronic cigarettes and vape products, ”said AMA President Dr. Patrice Harris.
Most vaping victims say they used tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in marijuana.
The authorities believe that the culprit may be a thickener for vape products used on the black market. It is also believed that vitamin E acetate may be to blame.
AMA took a new tough stance after a vote held during the meeting.
She cited a surge in the use of electronic cigarettes among adolescents and called for a nationwide ban.
The association is currently calling on state and local regulators and legislators to prohibit the sale and distribution of products.
On the subject: Doctors officially name vaping-related lung disease
California has sued electronic cigarette maker Juul Labs Inc, accusing it of targeting teenagers.
He insists that the San Francisco-based company participated in a “systematic” and “insanely successful” campaign to attract young people to addictive nicotine devices.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 28% of schoolchildren in the United States use electronic cigarettes, while in 2018 there were 20%.
Some believe that the position of the AMA is wrong, it has little chance of implementation.
Jonathan Fulds, a tobacco dependence specialist at Pennsylvania State University, said: “I would have been at 100 percent with AMA if they wanted to ban all tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes. But now electronic cigarettes are competing and replacing the most harmful legal product in this country. ”
Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, said the problem was not in the vape products purchased at the store, but in illegal cartridges sold on the black market.
He added: “It would be a mistake for adult smokers and their families to listen to these misguided prohibitions, since evidence suggests that adult smokers who switch to electronic cigarettes significantly improve their health.”
Electronic cigarettes first appeared in the United States more than ten years ago. And their popularity has increased, despite minor studies of the long-term effects.
The FDA has been criticized for spending a lot of time reviewing and approving products for use.
Stephanie Kakkomo, an FDA spokeswoman, said the agency "pledges to do everything possible so that children do not use tobacco products and electronic cigarettes."
Health officials have been trying to figure out which chemical causes unknown lung diseases.
The CDC announced a breakthrough and said scientists discovered a potential suspect - vitamin E acetate.
A "chemical" when inhaled clings to the lungs and causes chemical burns.
Vitamin E acetate is used as a thickener in cartridges, especially with cannabis.
Vitamin E is, of course, safe, but as a tablet or for skin use. Inhalation of its oil droplets can be harmful. It is sticky and stays in the lungs for a very long time.
Most people who got sick said they had cartridges containing THC, and many said they got them from friends or bought them on the black market
Read also on ForumDaily:
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the option "Priority in the show" - and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman - There you will find a lot of positive information.