Not only weapons, but also household items: equipment disappeared from Ukrainian ships returned by Russia
The president of Ukraine Vladimir Zelensky arrived in the city of Ochakov of the Nikolaev area and examined returned Russian warships XNUMX the tugboat Yany Kapu, as well as the small armored artillery boats Nikopol and Berdyansk, writes Air force.
“I am very pleased that our military boats are in place. As promised, we returned our sailors, returned our boats, ” XNUMX Zelensky said, speaking to the assembled. Together with him, ships met 17 seamen released in September.
Ukrainian warships and an 24 member of their crews were detained by Russian authorities near the Kerch Strait on 25 on November 2018. The sailors were accused of illegally crossing the Russian border and arrested. They returned to Ukraine on September 7 as part of an exchange of held persons between Moscow and Kiev. To achieve the release of the sailors was one of Zelensky's campaign promises.
Speaking in Ochakovo, Zelensky noted that the ships partially lacked equipment and weapons. He promised to turn to the Russian side on this issue. The day before, the commander of the Ukrainian Navy, Igor Voronchenko, said that the Russians had “killed” Berdyansk and Nikopol, and “even removed their ceiling lights, sockets, and toilet bowls.”
Former chief military prosecutor Anatoly Matios on the eve published an unofficial report on the state of Ukrainian ships. It indicates that not only weapons and walkie-talkies disappeared from them, but also household items such as toilets, lanterns and a stove.
Anatoly Matios, who headed the main military prosecutor’s office until September, wrote on Facebook that military prosecutors are involved in inspecting the ships.
He listed the damage that the boat “Berdyansk” and the tugboat “Yana Kapu” suffered during a clash with Russian border guards and the military near the Kerch Strait in November 2018.
In particular, the wheelhouse, engine room, and toilet are broken in Berdyansk. Also, according to the publication, the left main engine was broken by fragments and the recognition system was damaged.
The tugboat Yana Kapu, which crashed into the larger Russian border ship Don, had a bulwark and a part of the mast was missing. About combat damage to the boat "Nikopol" is not reported.
What is missing
Matios said that all the documents, ammunition and small arms disappeared from both boats, but the 30-mm artillery mount was preserved on Nikopol and there were no visible damages to it.
Radio stations, in particular the American Harris, as well as Motorola and ICOM, disappeared from all three ships.
Both boats lack Iridium space communications stations and Furuno radar stations.
Fire extinguishers, lights, an emergency buoy, an inflatable motor boat, equipment batteries, a toilet bowl and a stove from a galley also disappeared from Nikopol.
And the boat "Berdyansk" lost its ventilation hood, flow heater and fecal system, which ensures the removal of sewage from latrine.
In the tugboat “Yana Kapu” there is no part of the equipment, for example cables, sockets and shades, and all devices in the wheelhouse, as indicated, are “open and rotated”. In the engine room there is a patch with a sliding emphasis XNUMX obviously there was a tugboat there.
Matios, among other things, said that before taking the ships, they were examined by Ukrainian divers. Journalist Andrei Tsaplienko explained that this was done to identify possible damage and explosive devices.
One of the sailors, Andrei Eider, confirmed on his Facebook page the fact of the disappearance of the stove and shades and added that even part of the sailors' personal underwear sets had disappeared.
The Ministry of Defense of Ukraine did not officially publish the list of damages and missing property, saying only that, according to available information, “the Russians dismantled some communications equipment and navigation equipment on the captured ships.”
What they say in Russia
Information appeared in the Russian media with reference to sources in the FSB that Russia returned the ships without personal weapons of sailors, ammunition and radio stations, because they are evidence in a criminal case.
The FSB, in turn, claims that the ships were transferred in good condition and with good plumbing. This is stated in a video distributed by the FSB Public Relations Center, Interfax reports.
In the published video, the ships were shot outside and inside at the time of the transfer to the Ukrainian side and the procedure for signing acts of transfer and acceptance was fixed.
“If during the transition from the coast of Crimea to Ochakovo the Ukrainian side managed to ditch the ships and bring the plumbing to an inappropriate condition, then this is a problem directly for the Ukrainian side,” XNUMX added to the department.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- On the morning of November 25, 2018, the Ukrainian small armored boats “Berdyansk” and “Nikopol”, as well as the tugboat “Yany Kapu” began the planned transition from Odessa to Mariupol. At the Kerch Strait, they were met by Russian border ships, one of which rammed a Ukrainian tug. As a result, the Russian frontier guards with shooting captured three Ukrainian ships in the Kerch Strait area and captured 24 Ukrainian military.
- As stated in the FSB, they illegally crossed the Russian border and did not respond to the requirement to stop. The Ukrainian Navy said they had warned the Russian side in advance about the transition, but the Russian border guards did not respond to the message of the Ukrainian ships.
- The Ukrainian authorities accused Russia of aggression. After this incident on November 26, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine voted in favor of imposition of martial law for 30 days in the 10 regions of the country and in the inland waters of the Azov-Kerch water area.
- November 29 US President Donald Trump canceled the meeting with the head of Russia Vladimir Putin, which was to be held in Argentina on the sidelines of the G20 summit. The reason for the cancellation was the situation with the Ukrainian ships captured in the Kerch Strait, explained Trump in his microblog Twitter.
- The release of the sailors was also demanded by German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron. But then all the efforts of international diplomats did not bring results.
- April 16 Ukraine 2019 appealed to the maritime tribunal with a request to take urgent action in relation to Russia, in order to free the Ukrainian sailors and ships seized in the Kerch Strait.
- International Tribunal for Maritime Law 25 May He has made a decisionin which he ordered Russia to immediately release two Ukrainian warships and an auxiliary vessel, as well as 24 Ukrainian sailors, captured near the Kerch Strait in November 2018.
- What awaits Russia for violating the decision of the tribunal is difficult to say, because, according to lawyer Ilya Novikov, “no one has yet decided to violate the order of the UN tribunal".
- 7 September, after lengthy negotiations took place exchange of held persons between Russia and Ukraine. The parties handed each other over 35 people, including all detained sailors.
Read also on ForumDaily:
Dear ForumDaily readers!
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past four years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers who helped our materials arrange life after moving to the USA, get a job or education, find a place to live or arrange a child in a kindergarten.
Now we want to ask YOU for support.
High-quality journalism requires serious financial investments and our revenues do not always cover the costs of maintaining the editorial staff, which jeopardizes the continuous operation of the site. We do not introduce a paid subscription so that Russian-speaking immigrants in the United States can freely receive verified information in their native language. But we will be grateful to you for any amount that you are willing to share so that we can seamlessly provide useful information to thousands of immigrants.
To cover all the components of life in the USA, we now support the work of three projects:
ForumDaily New York it is designed for Russian-speaking residents of the largest American metropolis and introduces them to important news and interesting places in the city, helps in finding a job or renting a house;
ForumDaily Woman it will help every woman in immigration to be beautiful and successful, will tell you how to improve family relations, and tell you how to arrange life in the USA;
ForumDaily It contains useful information for all those who have already moved to the United States or are just planning a relocation, tips on how to economically, but interestingly spend a vacation in America, how to fill out a declaration, find a job and organize life in the USA.
We will be grateful to you for any amount that you are willing to donate to the project.
Read and subscribe! We are pleased to assist you during the period of immigration, which can be quite difficult.
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the option "Priority in the show" - and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman - There you will find a lot of positive information.