Treats from all over the world: what street food is worth trying in New York
On the streets of New York you can taste all the dishes of the world. Residents of the largest US metropolis do everything on the run, so food carts are everywhere. About the most popular street food dishes told the author of the channel “50 shades of New York” on the site Yandex Zen.
“In downtown Manhattan, you can find a handsome-looking office worker in expensive suits who are quickly eating Chinese noodles from paper boxes. They simply have no time to taste business lunch in the surrounding establishments, ”the author notes.
Therefore, fast food vans and all kinds of portable carts with street food in New York can be found everywhere. At the same time, unlike street food in Asian countries, here the chance of poisoning is minimal, the author assures.
In this publication you will find the most popular street foodthat "attract hungry tourists and residents of the city with clubs of exciting flavors."
- Pretzel. This legacy of German immigrants is one of the symbols of the Big Apple. Both locals and hungry tourists, bypassing famous sights, eagerly eat a hot crispy bagel with large crystals of salt. “It seems to me that in the center of such points (where you can buy pretzel - Ed.) - there are 5 pieces per quarter, and everyone conducts brisk trade,” the author notes.
- Hot dog popular for being the cheapest option for a hearty snack in Manhattan. The cost of a hot dog in the minimum configuration is only $ 2. You can buy it, for example, at the entrance to Central Park - there is a trailer from the iconic diner Nathan's Famous, selling President Roosevelt's favorite hot dogs. “They say he even ordered them for himself at the Yalta conference!” - the author writes.
- Halal. Halal, Halal - "everything that is permitted and permissible in Islam." Most often, this concept is used to refer to properly cooked and allowed food for Muslims. Cars where you can buy it are found all over New York. “Recently, I see them even more often than others. Such stalls are kept by immigrants from Egypt and Bangladesh. The menu has several types of sandwiches, variations on the theme of our shawarma and rice with meat, ”the author explained.
- Lobster roll - This, according to the author, is a purely New York treat. “The city is on the ocean, and the local food service offers a lot of local seafood dishes. Juicy lobster meat, seasoned with spices and lime juice, served in a soft bun - delicious .... It is useless to describe it - you have to try it, ”the author shares. True, such a pleasure is not cheap - $ 12-14.
- Pizza. In New York, its own pizza culture has emerged - from a very thin crusty dough that allows you to fold a piece in half and deftly use it on the go. Moreover, New Yorkers believe that it is their city - the world capital of this Italian dish, once brought by immigrants.
Other interesting materials on ForumDaily New York:
- New urban trend - coliving: how two emigrants from Kiev successfully launched a startup in the USA
- Instructions for new arrivals: stores in New York, where you can buy everything for the home
- Turtles thrown out by owners 'captured' New York parks: city residents sound the alarm
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13344 [name] => New York [taxonomy] => category [slug] => nyu-jork)New York
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 21220 [name] => street food [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => ulichnaya-eda)street food
We ask you for support: make your contribution to the development of the ForumDaily project
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past four years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers who helped our materials arrange life after moving to the USA, get a job or education, find a place to live or arrange a child in a kindergarten.
Now we want to ask YOU for support.
High-quality journalism requires serious financial investments and our revenues do not always cover the costs of maintaining the editorial staff, which jeopardizes the continuous operation of the site. We do not introduce a paid subscription, so that Russian-speaking immigrants in the United States can freely receive verified information in their native language. But we will be grateful to you for any amount that you are willing to share so that we can continuously provide useful information to thousands of immigrants.
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the option "Priority in the show" - and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.