Tricks that will help to learn the language, even those who have long been desperate
Maria, the teacher and author of the blog, once, like everyone else, suffered over English. She was very hard on her language: the hundreds of grammatical rules that the author of technical instructions for rocket launchers seemed to write with a single task — to confuse even more. Years later, she did learn English and decided to become the teacher I missed so much.
Especially for AdMe.ru the woman has shared her own language learning methods that will make your life easier and make your understanding more accessible.
A little bit about how I became a teacher
Sometimes it seems to me that English has been with me all my life. I began to learn the language, like everyone else, from the old green textbook Plahotnik at school. Then at the Faculty of Philology at the university. After that, I worked in America and even trained at Oxford (so I know first-hand the difference between American and British English). Now I live and teach in Israel. And I can say that I understood all the nuances best of all when I started teaching it myself.
How to memorize new words?
- Use flashcards. With their help, you can learn not only many words, but also whole sentences and expressions. You can make them yourself: on one side write an unfamiliar word, and below is the context in which it is used; on the reverse side, write down the translation. I do special voice cards for my students, which you can listen to in the app.
- Method "24 hours - 3 day - 1 week". Learn as many words per day as you feel comfortable. After 24 hours, repeat what you learned, then after another 3 of the day and a week later. This system allows you to fix new words and expressions in your memory.
- Observe systematic. You can spend a small amount of time, but the main thing is to do it effectively. A couple of hours a week can be enough to achieve good results.
- The system "5 fingers." For each finger of your hand, remember one new word. Then come up with one common story with all the words to fix everything in memory. I recommend doing this exercise every day.
- Use humor and association. Everyone who has learned the language, noticed - an important and necessary word instantly disappears from our head, but some stupid word that reminded us of something or just seems ridiculous in its sound remains in our head forevermore.
Mistakes that prevent you from speaking a foreign language
- The biggest problem of all beginner students is that they underestimate their abilities. You strive for the ideal, are afraid to disgrace in front of those who know English better, while the speakers themselves sometimes do not know a single word from your language. (And you continue to complex, that you do not know the word "pellets" ...)
- People often ask me: “What will you advise to those who are afraid to speak a foreign language?” I answer: “A glass of wine”. This, of course, a joke, although it really works. But seriously, start talking to those who know the language even worse than you. In this dialogue, you will not notice the mistakes of each other and will be able to overcome your fear. And then it's a matter of practice.
- Another common mistake of beginners is the desire to learn as soon as possible: “Maria, and after how many lessons will I learn English?” In reality, the correct answer to this question is never. I still learn, and he, English, does not end there. But enough 2 – 3 literate lessons for you to begin to express your thoughts simple language.
Life hacking to help you talk
- Chukchi method or "What I see, talking about." Comment on any action in English. Call out the objects that surround you. So you, firstly, memorize the necessary words, and secondly, you will get used to the sound of English from your mouth.
- The method of introspection. In addition to what you are doing, also describe what you feel, think and dream about. Aloud, naturally.
- Method of narcissism. Go to the mirror and start talking to yourself in English. You can also record your voice on the recorder. It helps to feel the language and the buzz from what you say it.
- Pitching method is to perform any one exercise, not including the brain. If you are tired and you do not have the strength to think, then read the text in English aloud. The systematic nature of this exercise will give its result.
- Method lazy. Why do you need Present Perfect if you cannot even connect two phrases in Past Simple? Learn grammar only in your level, discard the passive voice and build phrases according to the “subject-predicate” pattern. Over time, you get off the ground.
- The method "is". Start talking with There is / There are, which translates as "available." Often you start to mumble due to the fact that you lack this particular word.
- Method of machine gun. You must have a specific set of phrases that will help you make time to think. For example, the other person asks you: How are you? Instead of the standard I am fine, thank you say: Can't complain! (“I'm not complaining!”) Tell me about your day? How are you doing? And while your partner will talk in detail about yourself, you can quickly think of what else to say or ask.
- Notebook method. Perhaps you talked to yourself and you have a question that you could not answer? Write it in a notebook and google the answer. The main rule of this system is that before you write something new, you must read the old one.
Как deal in times?
- Simple times simple, and this is the main thing that you need to remember. Present Simple - the action just happens; Past Simple - the action just happened; Future Simple - the action will just happen. There are no extra details.
- Continuous Times - long times, that is, everywhere the verb will have the ending -ing. Present Continuous - real long lasting; Past Continuous - a certain lasting moment in the past; Future Continuous - a certain point in the future. The main thing - remember that all actions are long!
- Perfect Times — All actions are completed. Present Perfect - action completed by now; Past Perfect - the action was completed by a certain point in the past; Future Perfect - the action will be completed by a certain point in the future.
- Perfect Continuous Times - for real learning English. Present Perfect Continuous - the action has always started already in advance and lasts at a certain point in the present tense; Past Perfect Continuous - started in the past and lasts at a certain point in the past; Future Perfect Continuous - will start over a period and will occur at a certain time in the future.
Incomprehensible time for those who study English, for some reason, is actually a simple Present Perfect Continuous. It seems to me that everyone is confused in the names and because of this the brain turns off.
I always say best remember Present Perfect Continuous through a hangover. Just imagine that in the morning you have a headache from the fact that you did not just drink, but drank all night, that is, from the process itself. You have the result of a past action: You have been drinking, so you have a hangover.
Do you speak English?
Yes, you will surely speak English! The main thing - remember that English can learn any, if you stop shifting responsibility to school, tutors or courses. It doesn’t matter if you are a humanist or a techie, how old are you and you are teaching yourself or with a teacher. Set yourself a goal and confidently go to it!
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellanea
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5954 [name] => English [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => anglijskij-yazyk)English
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 27780 [name] => English teacher [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => uchitelnica-anglijskogo)English teacher
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28488 [name] => LEARN ENGLISH [taxonomy] => special [slug] => anglijskij-yazyk)
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? - support us donate! Also subscribe to our page Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram and Instagram- there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily New York – there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information about life in the metropolis.