Trump did not rule out a strike on Syria in response to Himataku
President Donald Trump said on Monday that he is likely to launch another military strike on Syria after a chemical attack on the weekend, timed to coincide with the anniversary of the introduction of American troops against the army of dictator Bashar Assad.
"A large-scale decision on Syria will be made within forty-eight hours," President Trump quoted Monday.Voice of America».
Answering the question about the possibility of military action, the president said that nothing is excluded.
Trump condemned the “disgusting” chemical attack in Syria, adding that the United States intends to figure out who is responsible for the attack, be it Syria, Russia, Iran or “all of them together.”
“We deal with this issue very strongly, very seriously,” he said.
Earlier on Monday, US Secretary of Defense James Mattis said that the United States did not rule out the possibility of a military action against Syria after President Donald Trump threatened on Sunday that during the Saturday "insane chemical attack" "it would have to pay a high price."
Mattis told reporters that the United States "is working with allies and partners, from NATO to Qatar and other countries," and intend to "address this issue."
“First of all, we have to figure out why chemical weapons are still used at all, while Russia acted as a guarantor for the withdrawal of all chemical weapons,” Mattis said on Monday, holding a meeting at the Pentagon with Qatari sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Tani.
And about. US Secretary of State John Sullivan spoke by telephone with British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, and both noted that "based on current media reports and reports from the scene, this attack has the same distinguishing features as the previous al-Assad regime."
Syria denies using chemical weapons during the conflict that began in 2011, including last Saturday in the suburbs of Damascus Duma, where at least 40 people died. Russia insists that there is no evidence of the use of chemical weapons.
New vote in the UN Security Council on Syria
The determination of those responsible was the task of the investigators of the Joint Investigation Mechanism of the United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), which was disbanded after Russia vetoed the renewal of its mandate in November. On Monday, the United States offered the members of the Security Council a new mechanism for determining those responsible, but it is not yet clear whether it will receive the necessary support from Russia.
UN diplomats reported that the United States is seeking a vote on the resolution on Tuesday.
US Ambassador Nikki Haley told members of the Security Council on Monday that Russia and Iran could stop the “deadly destruction” that the Syrian government does, adding that Moscow’s hands are “covered in the blood of Syrian children.”
“We have come to the moment when the world should see the triumph of justice,” said Haley. - This moment will remain in history either as the fulfillment by the Security Council of its duties or as a demonstration of its complete inability to protect the people of Syria. In any case, the United States will respond to this. "
Russian Ambassador Vasily Nebenzia stated that the OPCW, which is charged with investigating such allegations without determining those responsible, may send a fact-finding mission to Damascus already tomorrow.
"The Syrian authorities and the Russian military ... will be provided with conditions for the departure of [representatives of the OPCW] to the place of the alleged incident and familiarization with the situation," said Nebenzya.
At the same time, Nebenzya said that Russian experts had already visited this area, took soil samples, interviewed witnesses and medical personnel. According to him, there was no chemical attack.
London said the British Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, had a telephone conversation with Acting US Secretary of State John Sullivan, and they “agreed that, based on media reports and local people, the attack had distinctive signs of previous attacks with chemical weapons. Assad regime.
French President Emmanuel Macron also had several telephone conversations with Trump to coordinate the response to the recent attack.
The alleged chemical attack took place against the backdrop of a new offensive on the last rebel enclave in Eastern Gute.
Emergency personnel who arrived at the scene reported that they had found families that were suffocating in their homes and shelters. According to them, people had foam from their mouths. Rescuers reported that more than 500 people, mostly women and children, were taken to medical facilities with breathing difficulties and eye burns.
The Civil Defense Service and the Syrian-American Medical Society reported that a smell emanating from the patients resembled chlorine, some had bluish skin, which is a sign of lack of oxygen.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellanea
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 238 [name] => Syria [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => siriya)Syria
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1627 [name] => hit [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => udar)blow
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5679 [name] => Trump [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => tramp)Tramp
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.