The US authorities have charged Oleg Deripaska, one of the richest Russian businessmen, with violating sanctions. According to the accusations, he hired three women who provided services to him in the United States. And one of them even bore him two children in the States. This was already after he was included in the sanctions lists. Writes about it «Radio Svoboda».
In addition to Deripaska, Olga Shrike, Natalya Bardakova and Ekaterina Voronina are accused of violation. In 2020 and 2022, Voronina came to the United States to give birth for Deripaska. And Bardakova and Shrike are accused of organizing the trip. In the indictment, Deripaska is also referred to as Oleg Mukhamedshin.
According to the indictment, Deripaska spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to have his children born in the United States and take advantage of the American medical system and the automatic right to citizenship.
In addition to birth tourism, Shrike is accused of selling a California music studio for Deripaska for $2019 million in 3,1. So far, she is the only one arrested among the accused.
On the subject: US imposes sanctions against Ramzan Kadyrov and his family
The United States imposed sanctions against Deripaska in 2018, explaining its decision by the fact that the businessman was engaged in "various malicious activities" around the globe, lobbying the interests of the Russian authorities. In particular, it was stated that the oligarch owns assets and launders money in the interests of Russian President Vladimir Putin. In addition, the authorities suspected him of involvement in possible interference in the US presidential election in 2016.
Deripaska, of course, denies the accusations against him. He challenged the imposition of restrictions in court. In June 2021, the Federal District Court for the District of Columbia dismissed this claim.
You may be interested in: top New York news, stories of our immigrants and helpful tips about life in the Big Apple - read it all on ForumDaily New York.
The birth of his children in 2020 and 2022 and his use of another name have not been previously reported.
The indictment states that at the birth of one of the children, the defendants spelled Deripaska's surname differently from how it is spelled in order to hide his paternity.
Forbes magazine estimated Deripaska's fortune at $2022 billion in 1,7. The entrepreneur estimated the losses from sanctions imposed against him at $7,5 billion.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- Oleg Deripaska in US court first revealed what property he had frozen in America because of sanctions.
- After the imposition of sanctions to Oleg Deripaska had to return three private jets he rentedbecause he could no longer use them.
- 15 March 2019 year of Deripaska sued in Washington lawsuit against the US Department of the Treasury. The businessman demanded that the sanctions imposed against him in 2018 be lifted. According to court materials, Deripaska estimated financial losses from sanctions at $ 7,5 billion.
- “I have spent 30 years of my life creating companies that are major players in the global economy, and I won’t allow this hard work - along with millions of jobs and livelihoods - to be destroyed by political intrigue,” the businessman said. Later himself Deripaska explainedwhy sued the USA.
- 11 June 2019 year, about three dozen employees of the GAZ automobile plant owned by Deripaska, went on a picket against sanctions in the center of Moscow near the US Embassy. On the posters were the slogans “Do not push on GAZ!”, “Sanctions against GAZ - sanctions against me and my children.” There were also several posters with inscriptions in English: “Sanctions kill cooperation”, “Save GAZ, save me”, “Sanctions harm us, not Putin. Who are you fighting against? ”
- The US Treasury Department imposed sanctions on Deripaska and his eight companies in April 2018: they were included on the Specially Designated Nationals list. Those involved in this list are prohibited from entering the United States, their assets in the United States are blocked, and persons from the United States are forbidden to have any business relationship with them. In January USA lifted sanctions from three Deripaska companies (the billionaire himself remained under sanctions). Democrats in Congress demanded that all sanctions be maintained. In particular, they stated that the "oligarch" "promotes the malicious actions" of the Russian regime against the United States.
- After lifting the sanctions Deripaska company began to invest billions of dollars in the United States. UC Rusal plans to invest $ 200 million in the construction of a plant in Kentucky.
- US Treasury Department revealed a list of documents on which the decision was based to include billionaire Oleg Deripaska in the list of “Kremlin oligarchs”, and impose sanctions on him.
- Billionaire Oleg Deripaska has filed a petition for the lifting of sanctions against him from the Department of the Treasury of Foreign Assets (OFAC) of the US Department of the Treasury. The request for the lifting of sanctions “in administrative procedure” was submitted on June 27, 2019.