The death of American tourists in the Dominican Republic combines one terrible detail
10 June became aware of the death of a sixth American tourist who died of a mysterious disease at a resort in the Dominican Republic. His death was the last known at the moment in a series of disturbing deaths that occurred under similar circumstances.
In most cases, healthy middle-aged people drank some kind of drink in their mini-bar in a hotel room, after which they fell sharply and seriously ill, and then died, it reminds New York Post.
For the relatives of the victims, who were convinced that at first similar circumstances were only a coincidence, the emergence of new facts became alarming - and led to new actions by the American authorities. In particular, it became known that the FBI was involved in the case and is conducting an investigation on the spot.
The last tragic incident that became known was the death of Robert Bell Walls of California 67-year-old who died on April 14 during his stay at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in the Dunican resort of Punta Cana.
The cause of Wallace's death remains to be determined. His niece told Fox News that her uncle felt bad shortly after drinking a glass of scotch from a mini-bar in his room, and then died in hospital three days later.
“We have so many questions,” said niece Chloe Arnold. “We don't want this to happen to anyone else.”
The riddle is complicated by the fact that another American tourist, 45-year-old David Harrison from Maryland, died in the same hotel in July 2018, under equally strange circumstances. Similarly, Yvette Monique Short from Philadelphia died in June last year at the nearby 51 hotel, and 25-year-old Miranda Schaupp-Werner from Pennsylvania died in a similar fashion on May. The 41 May couple from Maryland, 30-year-old Nathaniel Holmes and 63-year-old Cynthia Ann Day, died in their room at Bahía Príncipe at the Playa Nueva Romana resort.
Deaths hit the headlines of newspapers and media and attracted the attention of relatives of other victims (therefore, information about events came out of a chronological order), as well as those who became ill at resorts in the Dominican Republic.
Reports of a rising death toll alarmed 43-year-old Avilda Montes from Brooklyn, who said she started vomiting blood after a woman drank soda water from a mini-bar in Bahia Principe (some of the tourists died here) last October - but she managed to survive. The drink turned out to be bleach.
“I could be in the headlines,” said Montes. “If I knew then what I know now, I would immediately leave the island.”
Montes suspects that someone has replaced soda with bleach, and says that her taste buds have been burned, there are constantly problems with her respiratory organs and there is no alarm.
“I heard different theories, and what I think makes sense is a disgruntled employee or a serial killer,” she said.
It was unclear whether Holmes and Day from the mini-bar drank from the mini-bar; respiratory failure was called the cause of their death. Authorities indicated that Schaupp-Werner died because of a heart attack, but her son-in-law insisted that the woman drank a drink from the bar before she became ill.
Bahia resorts are managed by Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a Spanish family hotel chain. In a statement on its website, Grupo Pinero - the company that manages the resorts - accused the media of spreading “inaccurate and false information” and of causing their reputation to be “of great damage”.
A team of experts from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization have since arrived at hotels and conducted tests at resorts where tourists died.
Harrison’s widow, Don McCoy, said she doubted her husband’s death from natural causes. She recalls that before her death, her husband was delirious, was sweating profusely and from him "very strongly, strangely smelled."
At the beginning of 2019, a couple from Colorado, 29-year-old Keylinn Null and 33-year-old Tom Schwander, filed a lawsuit against the hotel owners after the doctor determined that they had suffered an insecticide poisoning while relaxing at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana last June of the year. Both became seriously ill after they felt a "strong chemical smell" in their room.
At a press conference on Thursday, the Minister of Tourism of the Dominican Republic, Francisco Garcia, said that more and more tourists are canceling their trips because of the news. The minister assured everyone that the island is safe.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- Nathaniel Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, from Prince George County, Virginia, were found in a room at the Bahía Príncipe in the resort of Playa Nueva Romana, on the south-east coast of the country. The cause of death has not yet been established, but the police found no signs of violence.
- On the same day it was reported that young spouses from Texas died of a mysterious diseasewhile on “amazing holidays” in Fiji. 3, a State Department spokesman, confirmed their death in a special press statement, but was unable to provide details of the situation.
- Miranda Schaupp-Werner was found dead in a hotel Grand Bahía Príncipe in La Romana 25 May - five days before 63-year-old Edward Holmes and 49-year-old Cynthia Ann Day were found dead in their hotel room.
- Relatives of 51-year-old Yvette Monique Sport told that she went to the resort last June and stopped at the Bahia Principe Resort in Punta Cana. In the room she drank a drink from the minibar and died that night.
- Delaware Woman severely beaten and left to die at a resort in the Dominican Republic. Tammy Lawrence-Daily said she wants to share her story "in the hope that women will be more knowledgeable."
- She said that on the second night of her vacation in January at the Majestic Elegance Punta Cana resort, where she arrived with her husband and two friends, she went to the next building to have a snack. She was attacked. The woman's nose and arm are broken, she has partially lost her hearing.
- 10 Jun reported that a woman from New York claimed that because of a soda bottle filled with bleach, she was bleeding in the same resort in the Dominican Republic, where at least three American tourists died suddenly.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 416 [name] => American tourists [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => amerikanskie-turisty)american tourists
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 535 [name] => death [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => smert)death
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5407 [name] => Dominican Republic [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => dominikanskaya-respublika)The Dominican Republic
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 27233 [name] => World [taxonomy] => category [slug] => mir)World
Read also on ForumDaily:
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
No one in the world expected a coronavirus pandemic, but she came in disrupting the usual rhythm of life and work of billions of people, causing panic and uncertainty about tomorrow.
ForumDaily also faced financial difficulties due to the loss of some advertisers due to the economic downturn and quarantine. But we are not reducing the number of materials and the mode of operation, since we want our readers to receive timely and up-to-date information in this difficult time. In addition, we support Local small businesses in the USA that suffer the most.
But ForumDaily is also a small business. Despite the loss of part of the income, we are doing our best to ensure that you are informed and armed with all the necessary knowledge to counter the pandemic and resolve other important issues during quarantine.
To maintain this rhythm of work, we need your help. We will be grateful for any amount that you are willing to allot to support our team.
Let's face the crisis together!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the option "Priority in the show" - and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.