Blindness and Death: FDA Extends Dangerous Sanitizer List
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has increased the amount of hand sanitizers that should be avoided because they may contain methanol, which becomes a toxic substance. after ingestion through the skin or if swallowed. Writes about it USA Today.
The FDA has identified 59 varieties of hand sanitizer that should be avoided, some of which have already been withdrawn, others are recommended for recall as they may contain a potentially fatal ingredient.
All products in the latest FDA update were manufactured in Mexico.
The FDA says there has been a dramatic increase in hand sanitizers labeled as containing ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol) but which tested positive for methanol.
In June, the FDA warned consumers not to use nine types of hand sanitizers because they may contain methanol.
“Methanol is not an acceptable active ingredient for hand sanitizers and should not be used because of its toxic effects,” the FDA said.
Methanol is used in industry as a solvent, pesticide and alternative fuel source, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Exposure to this substance can cause nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, cramps, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system and death.
The CDC says washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds is the best way to sanitize hands, but when that is not possible, the agency recommends using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
Children who accidentally use a hand sanitizer and people who drink a hand sanitizer as a substitute for alcohol are at an increased risk of methanol poisoning.
Hand sanitizer has been a popular anti-coronavirus product since February, and many new types of this product have hit the market after the lack of certified brands such as Purell.
Avoid these hand sanitizers that may contain methanol.
The FDA recommends that consumers do not use the following hand sanitizers because tests have shown that they contain methanol or that they are “allegedly made in the same facility as products containing methanol”:
- 4E Global's Blumen Clear Advanced Hand Sanitizer with 70% Alcohol
- 4E Global's Blumen Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Clear Ethyl Alcohol 70%
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Clear
- 4E Global's KLAR AND DANVER Instant Hand Sanitizer (labeled with Greenbrier International Inc.)
- 4E Global's MODESA Instant Hand Sanitizer Moisturizers and Vitamin E
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Advanced Hand Sanitizer
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Advanced Hand Sanitizer Aloe
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Lavender
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Clear LEAR Advanced Hand Sanitizer
- 4E Global's BLUEMEN Clear Advanced Hand Sanitizer
- 4E Global's The Honeykeeper Hand Sanitizer
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Advanced Hand Sanitizer Clear
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Clear Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Clear Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Aloe
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Clear Advanced Instant Hand Sanitizer Lavender
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Aloe Advanced Hand Sanitizer, with 70 Alcohol
- 4E Global's Blumen Advanced Hand Sanitizer Lavender, with 70% alcohol
- 4E Global's Blumen Advanced Hand Sanitizer Aloe, with 70% alcohol
- 4E Global's Blumen Antibacterial Fresh Citrus Hand Sanitizer
- 4E Global's Blumen Hand Sanitizer Fresh Citrus
- 4E Global's KLAR and DANVER INSTANT HAND SANTIZER
- 4E Global's Hello Kitty by Sanrio Hand Sanitizer
- 4E Global's Assured Instant Hand Sanitizer (Vitamin E and Aloe)
- 4E Global's Assured Instant Hand Sanitizer (Aloe and Moisturizers)
- 4E Global's Assured Instant Hand Sanitizer Vitamin E and Aloe
- 4E Global's Assured Instant Hand Sanitizer Aloe and Moisturizers
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Instant Hand Sanitizer Fragrance Free
- 4E Global's BLUMEN Instant Hand Sanitizer Aloe Vera
- 4E Global's Assured Aloe
- AAA Cosmetica's bio aaa Advance Hand Sanitizer
- AAA Cosmetica's LumiSkin Advance Hand Sanitizer 4 oz
- AAA Cosmetica's LumiSkin Advance Hand Sanitizer 16 oz
- AAA Cosmetica's QualitaMed Hand Sanitizer
- DDI Multinacional's Earths Amenities Instant Unscented Hand Sanitizer with Aloe Vera Advanced
- DDI Multinacional's Hand Sanitizer Agavespa Skincare
- DDI Multinacional's Vidanos Easy Cleaning Rentals Hand Sanitizer Agavespa Skincare
- Eskbiochem's All-Clean Hand Sanitizer
- Eskbiochem's Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer
- Eskbiochem's Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer
- Eskbiochem's The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer
- Eskbiochem's CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol
- Eskbiochem's CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol
- Eskbiochem's CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol
- Eskbiochem's Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer
- Grupo Insoma's Hand sanitizer Gel Unscented 70% Alcohol
- Limpo Quimicos' Andy's Best
- Limpo Quimicos' Andy's
- Limpo Quimicos' Gelclor
- Limpo Quimicos' NeoNatural
- Limpo Quimicos' Plus Advanced
- Liqesa Exportacion or Liq-ES.A.'s Optimus Lubricants Instant Hand Sanitizer
- Maquiladora Miniara's Shine and Clean Hand Sanitizer
- Maquiladora Miniara's Selecto Hand Sanitizer
- Mystic International's Mystic Shield Protection hand sanitizer
- Soluciones Cosmeticas' Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free
- Soluciones Cosmeticas' Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution hand sanitizer
- Soluciones Cosmeticas' Hand sanitizer (labeled with Wet Look Janitorial and Gardening Corp.)
- Tropicosmeticos' Britz Hand Sanitizer Ethyl Alcohol 70%
- Yara Elena De La Garza Perez Nieto's DAESI hand sanitizer
More information, including product code, is available at FDA website.
Hand sanitizer recall
The following products were recalled as of July 11:
- All cleaning disinfectants, moisturizers and disinfectants ITECH 361: UPC code 628055370130.
- Transliquid Technologies Mystic Shield Protection Hand Sanitizer: NDC numbers include 75477-435-02, 75477-435-10, 75477-435-12, 75477-435-25, 75477-435-50 and 75477-534-10.
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer, 1 liter bottle: two distributors. UVT hand sanitizer, lot number 0530 and expiration date 04/2022 and Saniderm Products hand sanitizer, lot number 53131626 and "Made April 1, 2020." applied.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- About 19 bottles of hand sanitizer sold nationwide withdrawn due to possible toxic substance content - methanol.
- 9 FDA-prohibited hand sanitizers read at our material.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 6041 [name] => FDA [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => fda)FDA
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28597 [name] => sanitizer [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => sanitajzer)sanitizer
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28636 [name] => methanol [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => metanol)Methanol
Read also on ForumDaily:
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the USA. We have big plans, we don't want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily! WomanForumDaily, NewYork, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.