How much does it cost to live in the USA: housing, food, entertainment and other expenses
Project Expatistan has produced an interesting compendium of data on the cost of living in the United States - for both family and individual.
According to this project, the estimated monthly cost for a family of four in the United States is $ 4610. If we are talking about one person without a family, then his expenses are limited on average to $ 2626. At the same time, it is noted that the cost of living in the United States is more expensive than in 82% of countries of the world (15 out of 76).
The most expensive cities
Researchers have calculated the so-called price index for cities around the world by comparing it with a benchmark (in this case, Prague). This city was assigned a value of 100. The value of the price index for each of the cities in the database is calculated by comparing their cost of living with the cost of living in Prague. Therefore, if a city has a price index of 134, this means that living in it is 34% more expensive than in Prague.
Top 10 most expensive cities in the USA
1. Babylon, New York - 249
2. Nantucket - 244
3. New York (city) - 241
4. Mountain View, California - 240
5. San Francisco, California - 233
6. Hilton Head Island, South Carolina - 228
7. Walnut Creek, California - 221
8. Jersey City, NJ - 220
9. Berkeley, California - 219
10. Washington, DC - 215.
Other major cities include:
13. Boston, Massachusetts - 199
15. Los Angeles, California - 196
17. Chicago, Illinois - 189
21. Seattle, Washington - 184
27. Miami, Florida - 180
29. Portland, Oregon - 176
34. Philadelphia, PA - 163
36. Pittsburgh, PA - 159
39 Austin, TX - 157
67. Detroit, Michigan - 140
Springfield, Missouri, ranked 103rd with an index of 103, was the cheapest to live in the list of 112 US cities surveyed.
On the subject: Which US states should Russian-speaking immigrants not move to
Food, clothing, and other basic expenses in the United States
- Basic lunch (including drinks) in the business district - $ 15
- Combo meal in a fast food restaurant (like “Big Mac® Menu”) - $ 8
- 500 g boneless chicken breast - $ 4,24
- 1 liter (1 quart) whole milk - $ 0,88
- 12 large eggs - $ 2,99
- 1 kg (2 lb) tomatoes - $ 4,08
- 500 g of local cheese - $ 6
- 1 kg (2 lb) apples - $ 3,27
- 1 kg (2 lb) potatoes - $ 1,63
- 0,5L local beer at the supermarket - $ 3,12
- 1 bottle of good quality red table wine - $ 15
- 2 liters of Coca-Cola - $ 1,99
- Bread for 2 people for 1 day - $ 2,00
- Monthly rent for 85 sq m (900 sq ft) furnished home in high-end area - $ 2239
- Monthly rent for 85 sq m (900 sq ft) furnished home in a common area - $ 1576
- Utilities for 1 month (heating, electricity, gas, etc.) for 2 people in an apartment of 85 sq m - $ 176
- Monthly rent of a furnished studio of 45 sq m (480 sq ft) in an expensive area - $ 1574
- Monthly rent for furnished studio of 45 sq m (480 sq ft) in common area - $ 1131
- Utilities for 1 month (heating, electricity, gas, etc.) for 1 person in a 45 sq m (480 sq ft) studio - $ 109
- Internet 8 Mbps (1 month) - $ 47
- 40-inch flat-screen TV - $ 273
- Microwave oven 800/900 W (brands Bosch, Panasonic, LG, Sharp or similar) - $ 124
- Laundry Detergent (3L ~ 100oz) - $ 11
- Hourly Wage Cleaning Assistance - $ 21
- 1 pair of jeans (levis 501 or similar) - $ 48
- 1 summer dress at Zara, H&M or similar store - $ 44
- 1 pair of athletic shoes (Nike, Adidas, or similar brands) - $ 87
- 1 pair of men's leather business shoes - $ 109
- Volkswagen golf 1.4 tsi 150 cv (or equivalent), no additional services, new - $ 23 437
- 1 liter (1/4 gallon) gasoline - $ 0,67
- Monthly Public Transportation Pass - $ 77
- Cold medicine 6 days (Tylenol, Coldrex or similar brands) - $ 7
- 1 box of antibiotic (12 doses) - $ 18
- A short visit to a private doctor (15 minutes) - $ 111
- 1 pack of 32 tampons (Tampax, OB, etc.) - $ 7
- Roll-On Deodorant (50 ml ~ 1,5 oz) - $ 3,46
- 2-in-1 Shampoo (400ml ~ 12oz) - $ 5,06
- 4 rolls of toilet paper - $ 3,64
- Tube of toothpaste - $ 1,81
- Standard men's haircut in the immigrant area - $ 21
- Basic dinner for two in a nearby pub - $ 45
- 2 cinema tickets - $ 25
- 2 theater tickets (best available seats) - $ 222
- Dinner for two at an Italian restaurant in the immigrant area including appetizer, main course, wine and dessert - $ 80.
- 1 cocktail in a downtown club - $ 12
- Cappuccino in the expat town - $ 4,94
- 1 beer in the pub next door (500 ml or 1 pint) - $ 5,86
- IPad wi-fi 128 GB - $ 402
- 1 minute of prepaid mobile plan (no discounts and plans) - $ 0,40
- 1 month downtown gym membership - $ 53
- 1 pack of Marlboro cigarettes - $ 8
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 18337 [name] => life in the USA [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => zhizn-v-ssha)life in the USA
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 20060 [name] => cost of living [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => stoimost-zhizni)the cost of living
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 26793 [name] => prices in the usa [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => ceny-v-ssha)prices in usa
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the United States. We have big plans, we do not want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.