They said the “next flight” to return from Kiev to the United States: the ambassador testifies to Congress contrary to the White House ban
Former US Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch on Friday spoke at closed hearings in Congress as part of an investigation into the scandal, which was nicknamed "Ukrainegate" in the American capital.
Even on Friday morning in Washington, they were not sure that Jovanovic would nevertheless decide to address the legislators, writes Air Force
A few days earlier, the White House issued a special statement stating that none of the current U.S. administration officials would cooperate with Congress in investigations into the impeachment process of President Donald Trump.
Jovanovic left her post in Kiev in May this year, at the personal request of the head of the White House, who accused her of disloyalty. However, she continues to be an employee of the State Department, and, according to the rules, must obey all the orders of the administration.
In her opening remarks, the former ambassador accused the Trump administration of Washington’s foreign policy based on the “protection of private interests” of individuals. Their influence, she said, had already led many professional diplomats to leave the State Department.
Yovanovitch called her resignation "incredible and suspicious", specifying that she was dismissed "on the basis of ... unfounded and far-fetched accusations by people who were guided by suspicious motives."
The former ambassador said that the accusations of her "disloyalty" to the president were spread by Trump's personal lawyer Rudolph Giuliani and members of his inner circle.
“I don't know why Mr. Giuliani decided to declare war on me,” said Yovanovitch. “Perhaps the people associated with him believed that their personal financial ambitions would suffer because of the anti-corruption policy we were pursuing in Ukraine.”
On Thursday the American authorities withannounced the arrest of businessmen Igor Fruman and Lev Parnas. The entrepreneurs were considered “personal friends” of Rudolph Giuliani, and, according to the investigation, they took an active part in the campaign to remove Yovanovic from the post of ambassador.
At the hearing, the diplomat stated that she had never met businessmen and had talked with Giuliani no more than three times on topics not related to the fight against corruption in Ukraine.
According to her, in March of this year, the State Department asked her to continue working in Ukraine until 2020, but two months later she received an order to hand over the cases and fly to Washington "on the next flight."
After returning to the American capital, one of the deputy secretaries of state explained to the diplomat that this decision was made personally by the US president.
“He said that Trump has lost confidence in me and no longer wants me to continue serving as an ambassador,” Jovanovitch said.
What about the current head of the US Embassy in Ukraine, William Taylor?
According to Voice of America The House of Representatives of the US Congress called to testify William Taylor, US Chargé d'Affaires in Ukraine.
Congressmen want to hear his testimony as part of an investigation into the impeachment of Donald Trump. However, a specific date for giving certificates has not yet been appointed.
However, diplomats who worked with the ambassador suggest: if Taylor had to choose between that, testify before Congress or remain in the post of US top diplomat in Ukraine, he would choose the latter.
The fact that William Taylor has information about the delay in providing weapons to Ukraine and the White House policy in this has become known after the testimony of former US Special Representative for Ukraine Kurt Walker. The House of Representatives has published the correspondence of American diplomats and adviser to Vladimir Zelensky, Andrei Yermak.
William Taylor also took part in the conversation. Then he wrote to the US Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland: "As I said on the phone, I think it is madness to refuse military assistance in order to help in a political campaign."
Despite the White House ban, US Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland, who was directly involved in the preparation of the scandalous, should testify in Congress next week telephone conversation between Trump and President of Ukraine Vladimir Zelensky.
Legislators are also planning to speak with a former senior official of the US National Security Council, Fiona Hill, who was responsible for the White House policy on Russia.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- In June 2016, the White House announced the official nomination of a diplomat Marie Yovanovitch to the post of United States Ambassador to Ukraine. Who is she and what did she plan to do at the time she took office - Read here.
- Calls for the removal of Jovanovic intensified after the Prosecutor General of Ukraine Yuriy Lutsenko said in an interview with The Hill on 20 in March that launched an investigation into members of law enforcement countries as to whether leak of financial reports of the Party of Regions in 2016 about deals with the then head of trump's campaign headquarters Paul Manafort intentional and whether Ukrainian law enforcement agencies tried to influence the US presidential campaign in favor of Hillary Clinton in this way.
- Lutsenko claimed that Jovanovic gave him a list of people whom he should not pursue, and refused to cooperate in investigating the misappropriation of American financial assistance to Ukraine. The embassy denied such allegations.
- Later Lutsenko admitted that Jovanovic did not give him a "list of untouchables"for which allegedly it was impossible to initiate an investigation, although he had previously stated the opposite.
- President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko in this situation sided with Marie Yovanovitch, expressing his full support for the US ambassador to Ukraine and satisfaction with the strategic partnership with the United States. And there are reasons for this. We wrote in detail about how the authorities in Ukraine corrupted the American democrats and influenced the US election in favor of Clinton.
- 20 March, former US Attorney Joe DiJenova announces need for Hannity Fox News interview remove Jovanovic from his position because of her actions to “undermine the credibility” of the Trump administration.
- He also asked that Pete Sessions (a Republican from Texas), who at that time served as chairman of the Rules Committee, wrote about the dismissal of Jovanovic back in 2018, who at that time wrote personal letter to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo asking him to recall Jovanovic, arguing that she made scornful statements about President Trump.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 95 [name] => Taylor [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => tejlor)Taylor
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 10790 [name] => US ambassador [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => posol-ssha)US ambassador
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 27270 [name] => Jovanovic [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => jovanovich)Jovanovic
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the United States. We have big plans, we do not want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.