Rights and obligations of the green card holder
Your actions as a permanent resident may affect future US citizenship. And this should always be remembered.
As an immigrant with the status of permanent resident of the United States, you have the right to:
- Constantly reside anywhere in the United States of America.
- Work in the United States of America.
- Owning real estate in the United States of America.
- Studying at a public school.
- Apply for a driver's license in your state or territory.
- Enroll in service in certain types of US forces.
- Get social security benefits, additional age or disability benefits, Medicare benefits if you qualify.
- Apply for US citizenship when you are eligible.
- Apply for a visa for your husband or wife and unmarried children to live in the United States of America.
- Travel outside the United States of America and return under certain conditions.
As a permanent resident of the United States, you must:
- Comply with all federal, state, and local laws.
- Pay income tax levied by the federal, state, and local governments.
- Sign up for the call-up service (US military) if you are a male person from 18 to 26.
- Maintain your immigration status.
- Constantly carry a document confirming the status of a permanent resident.
- On the Internet or in writing, inform the Citizenship and Immigration Service of your new address within ten days each time you change your place of residence.
As a permanent resident of the United States, you have many rights and freedoms. At the same time, you have a number of responsibilities. One of the important duties is to participate in the public life of your district (city).
You should also learn more about American culture, history, and government. This can be done by enrolling in adult education courses, as well as by reading the local press.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1058 [name] => rights [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => prava)right
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13370 [name] => green card [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => grin-karta)green card
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
Read also on ForumDaily:
We ask you for support: make your contribution to the development of the ForumDaily project
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past four years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers who helped our materials arrange life after moving to the USA, get a job or education, find a place to live or arrange a child in a kindergarten.
Now we want to ask YOU for support.
High-quality journalism requires serious financial investments and our revenues do not always cover the costs of maintaining the editorial staff, which jeopardizes the continuous operation of the site. We do not introduce a paid subscription, so that Russian-speaking immigrants in the United States can freely receive verified information in their native language. But we will be grateful to you for any amount that you are willing to share so that we can continuously provide useful information to thousands of immigrants.
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the option "Priority in the show" - and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.