Rights and obligations of the green card holder
Your actions as a permanent resident may affect future US citizenship. And this should always be remembered.
As an immigrant with the status of permanent resident of the United States, you have the right to:
- Constantly reside anywhere in the United States of America.
- Work in the United States of America.
- Owning real estate in the United States of America.
- Studying at a public school.
- Apply for a driver's license in your state or territory.
- Enroll in service in certain types of US forces.
- Get social security benefits, additional age or disability benefits, Medicare benefits if you qualify.
- Apply for US citizenship when you are eligible.
- Apply for a visa for your husband or wife and unmarried children to live in the United States of America.
- Travel outside the United States of America and return under certain conditions.
As a permanent resident of the United States, you must:
- Comply with all federal, state, and local laws.
- Pay income tax levied by the federal, state, and local governments.
- Sign up for the call-up service (US military) if you are a male person from 18 to 26.
- Maintain your immigration status.
- Constantly carry a document confirming the status of a permanent resident.
- On the Internet or in writing, inform the Citizenship and Immigration Service of your new address within ten days each time you change your place of residence.
As a permanent resident of the United States, you have many rights and freedoms. At the same time, you have a number of responsibilities. One of the important duties is to participate in the public life of your district (city).
You should also learn more about American culture, history, and government. This can be done by enrolling in adult education courses, as well as by reading the local press.
Read also on ForumDaily:
Dear ForumDaily readers!
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past four years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers who have been helped by our materials to arrange life after moving to the USA, to get a job or education, to find housing or to arrange a child in kindergarten. We are glad to help you during the immigration period, which can be quite difficult.
Now we want to ask you for support. Quality journalism is quite expensive. After a sharp reduction in advertising revenues from Facebook, our revenues do not cover the costs of editorial content, which jeopardizes the continuous operation of the site. We do not introduce a paid subscription, as many US media do, and provide access to all our materials for free, because we understand how important it is for Russian-speaking immigrants to receive reliable information in their native language. $ 5, $ 10, $ 20 - any amount you share with us will help the site survive, which means we can continue to provide useful information to thousands of immigrants. Support quality journalism! We believe in the power of our readers!
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the option "Priority in the show" - and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman - There you will find a lot of positive information.