US launches investigation against Harvard and Yale over money from Russia
The US Department of Education launched an investigation into Harvard and Yale universities due to the fact that they did not notify authorities about foreign financing in the amount of $ 6,5 billion, writes RBC.
In addition, authorities demanded that Harvard University disclose data on contracts or gifts received from other countries. Among them are Russia, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. In particular, the department requested information on relations with the Russian Skolkovo Foundation and Kaspersky Lab.
The requirement is related to an investigation into educational institutions. The investigation began after federal officials expressed concern about the dependence of universities on foreign money.
They believe that universities from the Ivy League receive donations from governments and companies of countries that are “hostile to the United States,” and potentially look for ways to steal research and spread propaganda to the benefit of foreign authorities.
The publication notes that American universities are required to notify authorities of foreign contracts and donations in the amount of $ 250 thousand and above. The rule has been in force for decades, but the US authorities have recently begun to demand its implementation.
The Ivy League is an association of American universities with eight educational institutions. They are considered the best universities in the country.
In November, the US Department of Education sent similar letters to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the University of Maryland. He demanded to provide information on contracts with foreign entities, including the Russian government, the Skolkovo Foundation, and Kaspersky Lab.
In 2019, a new scandal erupted after the media found out about a fraudulent scheme for admission to the best universities in the United States - dozens of parents, including American celebrities, bribed their children to be enrolled in prestigious educational institutions. The Ukrainian turned out to be one of the defendants in the case. is he was getting large amounts for each student, for which he provided fake exam results.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- In March, 2019, in the USA accused 50 of defendants in mass fraud cases when entering the leading universities of the country.
- It is about the fraudulent scheme that parents paid a certain organization - allegedly she prepared applicants for admission to the university. In fact, the employees of this organization passed the exam for applicants or corrected their answers.
- The organization also bribed university team coaches to enroll students allegedly for their success in sports, regardless of their real abilities. The court documents alleged that some of the defendants created fake characteristics for clients about their sporting achievements.
- Among the accused were 33 parents, including actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Laughlin, coaches, examiner, administrators of the organization to assist applicants and the administrator of one of the universities. They were accused of conspiracy to help applicants bypass established procedures.
- Sports coaches from Yale University, Stanford, the University of Southern California, Wake Forest University and Georgetown University participated in the hoax.
- American TV series star Lori Laughlin and her husband, designer Mossimo Janully, paid to Singer $500 тыс. for bringing their daughters Olivia and Isabella to the University of Southern California. The girls were given for rowing masters.
- 56-year-old Huffman - star of the TV series Desperate Housewives and American Crime, the owner of Emmy, Golden Globe and the US Screen Actors Guild Award turned out to be a defendant in the scandal. Felicity Huffman is married to actor William Macy. The star couple has two daughters: 18-year-old Sofia and Georgia, who will be 14 years old on March 17. It was just because of maternal love for Sofia that the “desperate housewife” came under investigation.
- For a good SAT result for Sophia's mother paid Singer $ 15 thousand. According to the materials of the case, the father also helped his daughter. For some reason, however, no charges were brought against William Macy.
- The rich parents of one girl so wanted to arrange a daughter at Yale University that they paid Singer $ 1,2 million for services. And he, in turn, made a football star out of a client and made her into the university’s women's football team.
- The press recalled the case of Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of the US president: he was accepted to Harvard soon after Charles Kushner, Jared's father, donated $ 2,5 million to the university. At the same time, the applicant did not have outstanding test results.
- Two Stanford students sued the universities mentioned in the indictment. The girls believe that the fraud reduced their chances of honest entry to Yale and the University of Southern California, and the scandal will affect the value of their diplomas.
- The indictment states that the crimes were committed between 2011 and 2019.
- The prosecutor's office notes that in many cases the children did not know about the fraudulent scheme.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5706 [name] => Harvard [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => garvard)Harvard
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28374 [name] => Yale [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => jel)Yale
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28375 [name] => Skolkovo [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => skolkovo)Skolkovo
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28376 [name] => foreign financing [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => inostrannoe-finansirovanie)foreign financing
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the United States. We have big plans, we do not want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.