Border closure and pause in loan repayments: what else did Trump promise at a coronavirus briefing
US President Donald Trump said the closure of the border with Mexico and Canada will not affect trade cargo. He said this today, March 20, during a daily briefing in the White House, informs «Voice of America».
On Friday, March 20, at the White House, President Donald Trump held another briefing on the fight against the 2019-nCoV coronavirus in the United States. Among other things, the president announced the closure of private and business trips to Canada and Mexico. At the same time, Trump explained that closing the borders would not stop current trade contacts between the three countries of North America.
On the subject: Tighter quarantine: US restrictions on movement
In turn, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, answering a question from a journalist on the same topic, noted that the ban on travel to Mexico and Canada and from these countries to the United States would last as long as it would be necessary to improve the epidemiological situation. A little later on Friday, March 20, the U.S. and Canadian authorities issued a joint statement stating that the land border crossing restriction would come into effect on March 21, and so far has a 30-day duration.
In addition, Pompeo emphasized that in the context of the 2019-nCoV coronavirus pandemic, China, Russia, and Iran are spreading a “misinformation virus,” describing the situation in Western countries.
Recording of the live broadcast of the briefing in Russian.
During the briefing, the president stated that he had enacted the Defense Production Act. This measure is designed to allow the U.S. government to accelerate the production of masks, respirators, ventilators, and other necessary equipment to combat the 2019-nCoV coronavirus outbreak.
The President enacted the law on the evening of March 19.
When asked by the journalist about the reasons for this step, Trump said that the law will allow states to get masks, other essentials and equipment to fight the virus.
The law, which was first enacted during the Korean War of the 1950s, gives the president broad powers to "expedite and expand the supply of resources to American industry to support military, energy, space and national security programs," according to the Federal Agency's website. emergency situations.
According to the president, the administration on Friday March 20 temporarily suspended interest and payments on federal student loans for at least the next 60 days.
Trump also said that the US Department of Education will cancel school exams due to the massive closure of schools across the country.
As reported by ForumDaily:
- A new virus was discovered in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019. In 2020, it covered all continents except Antarctica. On March 11, US President Donald Trump imposed a ban on entering the United States from EU countries. The ban came into force on Friday, March 13, and will last at least 30 days. In particular, it will concern people who have visited the Schengen area over the past 14 days.
- March 13 Trump due to coronavirus introduced a nationwide emergency regime in the US.
- On March 11, WHO recognized the situation with the coronavirus pandemic, which covered more than 110 countries. Symptoms of Coronavirus COVID-19 Disease Available here.
- Virologist's tips on how to protect yourself from infection - link.
- Taking advantage of the panic in the society because of the epidemic, fraudsters came up with several schemes to deceive victims of personal data and money. The most common ones can be found here.
- Having succumbed to panic due to a state of emergency, Americans are massively buying toilet paperbut they cannot explain why they need it during the epidemic.
- Trump has signed into law on paid leave due to coronavirus. Who can count on paid leave, read here.
- Read all news about coronavirus in our special project.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellanea
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 80 [name] => USA [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => ssha)USA
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1053 [name] => Border [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => granitsa)Border
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5679 [name] => Trump [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => tramp)Tramp
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28340 [name] => coronavirus [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => koronavirus)coronavirus
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28353 [name] => READ ABOUT CORONAVIRUS [taxonomy] => special [slug] => kitajskij-koronavirus)
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28439 [name] => medical masks [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => medicinskie-maski)medical masks
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28482 [name] => briefing [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => brifing)briefing
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.