The tax season has begun: how to prepare a declaration without errors and quickly get a tax refund - ForumDaily
The article has been automatically translated into English by Google Translate from Russian and has not been edited.
Переклад цього матеріалу українською мовою з російської було автоматично здійснено сервісом Google Translate, без подальшого редагування тексту.
Bu məqalə Google Translate servisi vasitəsi ilə avtomatik olaraq rus dilindən azərbaycan dilinə tərcümə olunmuşdur. Bundan sonra mətn redaktə edilməmişdir.

The tax season has begun: how to prepare a declaration without errors and quickly get a tax refund

Today, January 24, tax season started as the IRS began accepting and processing tax returns for 2021. Three-quarters of Americans receive a tax refund each year after filing a return, often the largest lump sum payment a family receives during the year. Refunds usually arrive within 21 days of filing your return, but may be delayed. Most often, the reason for the delay is not the fault of the IRS (although last year the agency was unable to process returns on time due to lack of staff), in most cases the return is delayed due to mathematical or other errors in the return that the taxpayer made. Declarations with an incomplete list of documents and with incorrect calculations require additional verification and clarification of data, and then the return is delayed for weeks and even months.

Photo: Shutterstock

We asked an experienced accountant Michael Koloden give some advice on how to prepare tax documents correctly and avoid mistakes that can delay tax returns. He outlined three steps that every taxpayer must take before preparing and submitting their tax return.

1. Collect and Organize All Tax Forms and Income Documents

A systematic and complete set of basic tax forms simplifies tax preparation and prevents errors that lead to delays in processing and sending refunds.

Important tax forms required for filing a return:

  • Forms W-2 from employers;
  • Forms 1099 from banks, issuers and other organizations through which you received any payments, including unemployment benefits, dividends, pensions, annuities, etc.;
  • Forms 1099-K, 1099-MISC, W-2 or other income statements for workers in the gig economy;
  • Form 1099-INT for Interest Investors;
  • Other income documents and records of digital currency transactions.

Before starting the preparation of the tax return, the taxpayer must also have the following documents:

  • Letter 6419 (should be sent by the IRS). This document shows the total amount of the advance tax credit for children that a person received in 2021.
  • Letter 6475 (also from the IRS). It indicates how much government financial assistance in connection with the coronavirus (Economic Impact Payment) you received in 2021. If you were eligible for more at the end of the year, you can claim that amount in the form of a tax credit.
  • Form 1095-A is a statement from the Health Insurance Marketplace and is needed to reconcile the amount of advance health insurance tax credits you received.

In addition, Michael Koloden recalled that taxpayers must keep copies of tax returns and all supporting documents for at least three years.

If you do not have any document, then you can request a free transcript from the IRS. The data in the transcripts covers your previous years' returns, income details, and more. To receive a transcript, log into your account on the IRS website and click on “Get Transcript Online” on this page. After answering a few questions, you will be able to download the transcript you need in PDF format.

On the subject: Change of residence and taxes in the USA: how to avoid an audit if you moved to Florida

If you do not have an account on the Internal Revenue Service website, you can request transcripts by phone or mail.

It is very important to check the documents and not try to bet some amount at random, an inaccuracy of even a couple of hundred dollars will immediately send your declaration for additional verification and significantly delay its processing and refund.

The specialists of the company will help to prepare your declaration correctlyMICHAEL KOLODEN CPA PC: 7308 18th Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11204; tel. (718) 360-5337; e-mail: [email protected].

Michael Koloden, founder of an accounting firm MICHAEL KOLODEN CPA PC

2. Check that your mailing address and email address are up-to-date, and report a name change

In order to receive the necessary tax forms from the employer, bank and other organizations on time, the taxpayer must ensure that they have his current mailing address or email address. You can clarify this information with banks and employers in any form convenient for you; there are special procedures for government organizations.

You can notify the Internal Revenue Service of a change of address via Form 8822 Change of Address, it must be completed and sent to the IRS. You can also fill out an application on or your local post office to have your mail forwarded to the new address.

If during the year you changed not only the address, but also the name, then this must be notified to the Social Security Administration.

More information about tax rules and the nuances of filing returns can be found in the companyMICHAEL KOLODEN CPA PC: 7308 18th Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11204; tel. (718) 360-5337; e-mail: [email protected].

3. Check the correct amount of taxes withheld from you and, if necessary, make changes

If you find that you owe a lot in taxes for 2021 or received too much return last year, reconsider your tax withholding amounts from your paycheck. Changing this amount will reduce your final tax debt in the future.

In addition, it is worth reviewing this amount if significant changes have occurred in your life: marriage or divorce, the appearance of a child, a second job, or a change in financial situation.

You can change the amount of taxes withheld from you by filling out a new Form W-4, Employee Withholding Certificate (Employee's Withholding Certificate).

Material prepared in partnership with


address: 7308 18th Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11204;
cell: (718) 360-5337;
Email: [email protected]

Read also on ForumDaily:

Selfie videos will soon be required to file tax returns

California already has high taxes, but the state authorities want to almost double them

Change of residence and taxes in the USA: how to avoid an audit if you moved to Florida

High Prices and Taxes: 15 States Retirees Should Avoid

tax return Educational program taxes in the USA Special Projects Michael Colden
Subscribe to ForumDaily on Google News

Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? — support us donate! Also subscribe to our page Facebook. Select the “Priority in display” option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram  and Instagram- there is a lot of interesting things there. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily New York — there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information about life in the metropolis. 

1097 requests in 1,245 seconds.