Mild course of COVID-19 and complications: when to see a doctor
As coronavirus continues to spread throughout the United States, hospitals are gearing up for a rapid increase in patient numbers. Writes about it Fox News.
Hospitals throughout the United States are preparing to receive a huge stream of cases. The virus can be present in people without any symptoms or cause mild ailment, so there is some uncertainty as to when exactly to seek medical help.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), most cases of virus infection cause mild symptoms, while most of those who test positive for coronavirus recover over time without hospitalization.
“If you cough, you have a fever, you feel tired and think that you are sick with COVID-19, stay at home,” said WHO spokesman Tarik Yasarevich. "We know that 80% of infected people will have mild symptoms that will go away on their own."
When it is time to seek medical help
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the virus has the following symptoms: fever, cough, or shortness of breath. They may appear 2-14 days after infection.
Other symptoms may include a runny nose, sore throat, nasal congestion, and stomach pain or diarrhea.
If you think that COVID-19 is sick and you have a fever or one of the symptoms listed above, it is recommended that you call your doctor first to help determine what your next course of action should be.
Most likely, with such symptoms you will be asked to be treated at home. This will help limit the spread of the virus, protect healthcare workers, and potentially help limit the flow of patients to hospitals that need to focus on helping patients with more severe symptoms whose lives may be at risk.
In this case, the CDC compiled a list of symptoms of COVID-19, in the presence of which you need to "immediately seek medical help." They include:
- labored breathing;
- persistent pain or pressure in the chest;
- bluish tint of lips or face.
“If you find these symptoms, call 911 and tell the operator that you have been diagnosed with or suspect that you are ill with COVID-19,” the CDC said. “If possible, put on a face mask before medical assistance arrives.”
The Office added that this list is not comprehensive and that a doctor should be consulted for any other serious symptoms that you may find.
According to the WHO, one in six COVID-19 cases has serious symptoms requiring hospitalization. Older people and people with chronic illnesses (high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, or chronic respiratory infections) are at high risk for serious symptoms after being infected with coronavirus.
The agency also recommends seeing a doctor if you were in close contact with someone who has a virus, or if you "live or have recently been in an area with widespread COVID-19."
As reported by ForumDaily:
- A new virus was discovered in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019. In 2020, it covered all continents except Antarctica. On March 11, US President Donald Trump imposed a ban on entry from the EU. The ban came into force on Friday, March 13, and will last at least 30 days. In particular, it will concern people who have visited the Schengen area over the past 14 days.
- March 13, Trump introduced a nationwide emergency regime in the US due to coronavirus.
- On March 11, WHO recognized the situation with the coronavirus pandemic, which covered more than 110 countries. Symptoms of Coronavirus COVID-19 Disease Available here.
- Virologist's tips on how to protect yourself from infection - link.
- Taking advantage of the panic in the society because of the epidemic, fraudsters came up with several schemes to deceive victims of personal data and money. The most common ones can be found here.
- Having succumbed to panic due to a state of emergency, Americans are massively buying toilet paperbut they cannot explain why they need it during the epidemic.
- Read all news about coronavirus in our special project.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 27249 [name] => symptoms [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => simptomy)symptoms
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28340 [name] => coronavirus [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => koronavirus)coronavirus
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28347 [name] => Special projects [taxonomy] => category [slug] => specproekty)Special Projects
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28353 [name] => READ ABOUT CORONAVIRUS [taxonomy] => special [slug] => kitajskij-koronavirus)
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.