How much can Americans and immigrants in the United States save
One of the features of the American mentality is that it is indecent to discuss salaries, at least to talk about specific numbers. But to the author of the channel "Alphabet of an Immigrant" on Yandex.Zen managed to ask some about how much they manage to set aside in percentage after all payments have been paid. Further - from the first person.
1. Zach and Emily live in New York. Zach is a programmer, Emily is an accountant. They already have two children, a mortgage, two cars, a kindergarten for their youngest child. They manage to save 45-50% of their income every month.
2. Kim and Michael from Boston. Kim works as a nurse. Michael is a real estate broker (real estate agent). They have a 6 year old son. This family has not yet taken out a mortgage. Pay to rent a two-bedroom apartment. The mandatory spending includes two cars. It is possible to postpone about 40% of income.
3. Alex is a doctor, single mother. The child is 4 years old. Alex spends a lot of time at work, so she uses babysitting services. The girl told me that she pays the nanny about $ 3000 a month. There is no mortgage or rent - she owns the apartment. Despite the fact that Alex earns in the family alone, “for a rainy day” 25-30% of income can be set aside.
4. An interesting example with a family from Philadelphia. Anna is a housewife, she is engaged in everyday life and has three children. Dan is a lawyer. This family has already paid the mortgage. About 35% of the salary remains. But Dan invests this money partially in stocks, which also generate income.
5. There are also families who live from paycheck to paycheck. For example, Stephen and Lisa. Stephen works at MTA (New York subway), Lisa is an office assistant. They have two children, a mortgage, a car on credit. About 10-15% of income remains, including taxes.
As you can see, American families manage to save money. At the same time, the pattern is obvious - the higher the salary, the more they can save. At the same time, everyone I interviewed has a local education. It can be assumed how much they earn under these conditions.
It can be more difficult for immigrant families in the first few years, unless you come with the money initially.
For example, 3 out of 5 immigrant families in the first two years live from paycheck to paycheck. Natalia from Colombia told me that she and her husband work in two jobs each, so that they have enough money to rent an apartment and help their relatives at home. After 5 years of living in the States, as a rule, the financial situation stabilizes.
In the US, money does not grow on trees. Everyone has to work. But if a person works, then by definition he cannot be a beggar. The American wage system is designed in such a way that even with a minimum wage, you can ensure a normal life.
Original column published on the blog. "Alphabet of an Immigrant" on Yandex.Zen
ForumDaily is not responsible for the content of blogs and may not share the views of the author. If you want to become a column author, send your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 17739 [name] => Russians in the USA [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => russkie-v-ssha)Russians in the USA
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 20988 [name] => salary in the USA [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => zarplata-v-ssha)salary in the USA
Read also on ForumDaily:
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the USA. We have big plans, we don't want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily! WomanForumDaily, NewYork, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.