The article has been automatically translated into English by Google Translate from Russian and has not been edited.
Переклад цього матеріалу українською мовою з російської було автоматично здійснено сервісом Google Translate, без подальшого редагування тексту.
Bu məqalə Google Translate servisi vasitəsi ilə avtomatik olaraq rus dilindən azərbaycan dilinə tərcümə olunmuşdur. Bundan sonra mətn redaktə edilməmişdir.

How chewing gum, ice cream or toothpaste can kill your dog

An American couple warns pet owners that xylitol (Xylitol), found in chewing gum and other foods found in every home, can kill animals. Their six year old dog died due to liver failure, swallowing gum.

Фото: Depositphotos

Corey and Chris Clark say their Pointer dog died after eating chewing gum. According to the couple, a dog named Isa felt bad after that, and by the time they arrived at the vet she had developed liver failure, writes ABC13.

The ingredient in chewing gum is called xylitol, and it is fatal for dogs because it is a powerful stimulator of insulin secretion. A small amount of xylitol can cause a dangerous decrease in blood sugar, and the effect may occur within 10 – 60 minutes after taking xylitol.

This sugar substitute found in certain human and dental foods can be toxic to your dog. If your dog puts his nose in his bag and pulls out a pack of chewing gum or decides to gnaw a tube of toothpaste, the consequences can be fatal.

On the subject: Unusual move: in Kansas, a man lives in an animal shelter for the sake of a dog

If your dog has taken xylitol, here are some symptoms to worry about:

  • decreased activity;
  • weakness;
  • staggering;
  • lack of coordination;
  • loss of consciousness;
  • convulsions.

If you think your dog might have eaten a product containing xylitol, call your veterinarian immediately at the emergency room or poison control center.

Over the past few years, the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) received several reports - many of which concerned chewing gum - of dogs poisoned with xylitol. The most recent report involved sugar-free diet ice cream.

Xylitol is often used to sweeten sugar-free sweets such as mint and chocolate bars, as well as chewing gum. Other products that may contain xylitol include:

  • breath fresheners;
  • pastries (cakes, muffins and pies, bread for diabetics);
  • cough syrup;
  • chewing vitamins for children and adults;
  • mouthwash;
  • Toothpaste;
  • some peanut butter;
  • over-the-counter medicines;
  • nutritional supplements;
  • sugar-free desserts, including diet ice cream.

It is recommended that all such products be kept out of the reach of your dog.

Why is xylitol dangerous for dogs, but not for humans?

In both humans and dogs, blood sugar levels are controlled by the release of insulin from the pancreas. In humans, xylitol does not stimulate this reaction, but in dogs it is different: when dogs eat something containing xylitol, the substance is absorbed more quickly into the bloodstream and can lead to a strong release of insulin, followed by a rapid and deep drop in blood sugar levels. blood (hypoglycemia), which can be fatal.

On the subject: In South Carolina, a dog saved its owner’s life during a fire

Note to Cat and Ferret Owners: Xylitol does not appear to be as harmful to cats and other pets. Cats, moreover, are almost never interested in sweets, but ferrets can react in the same way as dogs - be careful.

What to do?

If you think your dog has eaten xylitol, take her to a veterinarian or animal emergency hospital immediately. Since in some cases hypoglycemia and other serious side effects may not occur for 12 to 24 hours, your dog may need to be hospitalized for medical observation.

Check the label for the presence of xylitol in the ingredients of products, especially those that are advertised as sugar free or low sugar. What else can be done?

If the product contains xylitol, make sure your pet cannot get it. Remember that some dogs are quite successful in finding harmful treats and other dangerous foods.

Use pet toothpaste for pets only, not human toothpaste.

If you give peanut butter to your dog as a treat or as a pill-facilitator, check the label first to make sure it does not contain xylitol.

Miscellaneous Dogs Educational program dangerous for health

Read also on ForumDaily:

88-Ohio veteran recaptures baby from pit bull with Christmas decoration

'Chernobyl Dogs': Airbnb Offers Trip to Exclusion Zone to Help Animals

'Fluffy unicorn': in Missouri found a puppy with a tail on his forehead

In the Texas shelter, the cat was put in a 'solitary confinement' so that he would not let out other animals

Let's face the crisis together and support each other

Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the USA. We have big plans, we don't want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…

The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.

Thank you for being with us!

Always yours, ForumDaily! WomanForumDaily, NewYork, ForumDaily!

Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.

Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.



1046 requests in 1,973 seconds.