How to choose the area for the purchase of real estate
How can I choose housing in areas that you do not know? How to understand if this is a good place to buy property or not? Andrey Boychuk in the article for Immigrant porada talks about how to search for good areas with low crime and good schools.
Before I begin to talk about what's important in each district, you need to identify at least 5 districts that you like, or those where you would like to live.
Personally, when my wife and I were planning to buy 2 houses, I printed out a map of the whole Staten Island, divided the districts by zip codes and found out where the zip codes are good and where they are not. Although now I understand that this is a very generalized picture - within one zip code there can be 2 good and 3 bad areas. For example, we live according to the index 10305, and a couple of quarters later, according to the same index, a not very good area begins.
Therefore, I recommend to do the following: print a map of the area that you like. This may be a 2-4 postcode. Then use a pen or felt-tip pen to circle areas in these postal codes where you would not like to live. It will be like a dead zone. But how to find out about it? That's for this and statistics. Therefore, we filter each of the areas.
1. District security or crime situation. You do not want to be afraid of being robbed of you or your house. Therefore, I recommend using one of the site tools. Trulia.com, with the help of which you can see how many criminal cases were opened on that street or in that area. This is, for example, the area in which I live.
How to check it? Just go to this one. link and at the top enter the zip code of the area that interests you. Then on the upper left, click on Crime. Look here.
Your goal is to choose a green area, although yellow may also be. Bad is when something like this:
2. If you have children, it is important to know which school district this district belongs to. In America, you cannot choose a public school - children go to the school that is determined by their place of residence. If you want to send your child to a private school, then the place of residence does not matter. Even if you don't have children yet, it's still worth considering the future. You don't buy real estate for a year. On this Online You can check where there are good public schools.
3. On a popular site Zillowwho is also the owner of Trulia, can be viewed the cost for which houses were sold for the last 6-12 months. Why do you need it? First, you can see whether this area is rich or poor, and also understand what price you can count on. Come on zillow.com, enter the zip code, and in the filters select only RECENTLY SOLD. You will receive full information. So I just entered the index 10205. As you can see, for such a number of houses you can make a competent opinion about how much it costs.
4. Public transport. Is he in the area? This is important for those who use it to get to work or school. We have a car, but I drive to work by public transport, because it is much more efficient.
5. Stroll virtually through the streets on Google Maps. Immediately I warn you: in some areas the maps are outdated. But you can walk along one or another street to get a general impression.
6. If you are a person who loves statistics very much and wants to know everything, I recommend 2 interesting sites. On them you can get complete information about the area - unemployment rate, rent, ethnic population etc. it bestplaces.net or city-data.com.
7. And the last but most important method is to just go to that area and take a walk. If you have time, do it in the afternoon and evening.
After completing these 7 clauses, some of the areas you like will be filtered out. Therefore, when you have already decided on the area, start the search. Immediately I warn you: this is not a very fast matter. I tell everyone that you need to search intensively for about a year to find what you want.
About the Author: Andrei Boychuk, founder of Immigrant Porada (iporada.com) is a platform for Ukrainian immigrants in the United States. Cheerful husband beautiful wife and father of a joyful daughter.
This blog is translated from the Ukrainian language. The original article can be found on the website. "Immigrant Porada" (Ukrainian online advice platform for immigrants in the United States).
ForumDaily is not responsible for the content of blogs and may not share the views of the author.. If you want to become the author of the column, send your materials to email@example.com
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 3675 [name] => real estate [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => nedvizhimost)real estate
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 16228 [name] => Columns [taxonomy] => category [slug] => bloggers)loudspeakers
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 17748 [name] => buying a house in the USA [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => pokupka-doma-v-ssha)buying a home in the US
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.