What to do if you lost or messed up your US documents - ForumDaily
The article has been automatically translated into English by Google Translate from Russian and has not been edited.
Переклад цього матеріалу українською мовою з російської було автоматично здійснено сервісом Google Translate, без подальшого редагування тексту.
Bu məqalə Google Translate servisi vasitəsi ilə avtomatik olaraq rus dilindən azərbaycan dilinə tərcümə olunmuşdur. Bundan sonra mətn redaktə edilməmişdir.

What to do if you have lost or corrupted your American documents

If you found your documents (for example, a passport, social security card or birth certificate) damaged or lost upon returning home, that’s what Recommends make the US Department of State in order to replace them.

Фото: Depositphotos

If you are a US citizen who is abroad and needs to replace a lost or damaged passport, please contact closest US embassy or consulate .

Replacing a damaged passport

Passports damaged by water must be replaced. You have to personally apply, to replace a damaged passport, in a special office or in passport agency.

You will need the following documents:

  1. Damaged US passport;
  2. Signed statement explaining the damage;
  3. DS-11 form (US passport application);
  4. Certificate of Citizenship * (for example, birth certificate or naturalization certificate);
  5. Photocopy of citizenship certificates;
  6. Original ID;
  7. Photocopy of ID;
  8. One passport picture;
  9. Fees.

Children under 16 must submit an application in person with both parents.

Replace lost passport

To replace lost passport, you need to personally apply and attach the following:

  1. DS-64 form (claim for lost or stolen passport);
  2. DS-11 form (US passport application);
  3. Certificate of Citizenship * (for example, birth certificate or naturalization certificate);
  4. Photocopy of citizenship certificates;
  5. Original ID;
  6. Photocopy of ID;
  7. One passport picture;
  8. Fees.

Children under 16 must submit an application in person with both parents.

* If your citizenship certificates were lost or damaged during a storm and you cannot replace them before submitting your passport, you can request archive, if you previously issued a passport.

Urgent trip

If you are going on a trip through the 2 week or even earlier, or you need a foreign visa for 4 weeks or less, you can make an appointment at one of passport agencies for expedited service. This is the fastest way to get a passport, but you have to pay additional fees of $ 60.

You can make an appointment at online or call by reference number: 1-877-487-2778. When submitting an application to a passport agency, it is important to bring all the necessary documents, including proof of travel.

Read also on ForumDaily:

How to enter the US if your name does not match the documents

17 countries difficult for Americans

How to get American citizenship for free in New York

What you need to know about the design of a passport of a US citizen for a child

What to do if you lose your SSN card

Miscellanea documents Educational program
Subscribe to ForumDaily on Google News

Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? — support us donate! Also subscribe to our page Facebook. Select the “Priority in display” option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram  and Instagram- there is a lot of interesting things there. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily New York — there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information about life in the metropolis. 

1075 requests in 1,208 seconds.