How to survive severe frosts: useful tips
The strongest Winter storm, which has already broken many temperature records, hit the Northeast of the United States. Americans are asked to stay at home and not go out to avoid frostbite. Edition Medusa collected tips on how to survive extreme cold and snowfalls.
1. Do not leave the house unnecessarily
The house is usually warm, so there is no need to take any additional action. If the room is cold, then:
- eat Food at any temperature warms, but hot, of course, makes it better;
- move. It is important to move a lot and not be in a static position for more than an hour;
- wear several layers of clothing, it is better that it be cotton, wool and pile;
- use a heating pad. If she is not at home, you can put a bottle of warm water under your side;
- kindle an open fire only if you use a range hood or if you can ventilate the room occasionally.
If there are elderly people, people with heart or lung diseases at home, it is important to maintain a temperature of at least 18 ° C.
2. If you decide to go outside, prepare thoroughly:
- eat well before going out (if you will be on the street for a short time, it is better to eat something sweet and hot, and take some nutritional bar with you);
- dress properly: wear a hat that covers your ears; cover your face, for example with a scarf; use mittens (not gloves); wear loose, warm and waterproof shoes; put on wool socks, several layers of loose clothing. It is better that the bottom layer removes moisture well (wool, polyester and polypropylene do an excellent job with this, but not cotton). The middle layer should serve as thermal insulation (for example, fleece or wool clothing). The outer layer is a protection against wind and snow. Anything that gets wet should be changed as soon as possible.
If you have diabetes, heart or lung disease, if you have been drinking, if you smoke, if you are taking beta-blockers, then you should only go outside when absolutely necessary - otherwise there is a high risk of ending up in the hospital.
3. In case of frostbite
Mild frostbite can be recognized by red or even whitening soft skin, as well as a feeling of numbness and tingling. The frostbitten area should be placed in a warm place. (not hot!) water. Brushes can be warmed under the armpits. Usually after 15-30 minutes everything is back to normal.
If the matter is serious (skin is white, hard), it is better to consult a doctor. But it is worth trying to keep warm in the same way as with mild frostbite. True, it can be painful, then it is recommended to take painkillers. If there is no improvement, then you can’t do without a doctor.
But when there are blisters, black patches on the skin, you need to go to the doctor as soon as possible, but you need to cover such frostbite with something sterile.
What you should never do:
- rub hard the sore spot, including snow and vodka (or any other alcoholic beverages);
- get warm with hot water or “dry heat” (for example, hair dryer).
With severe frostbite, hypothermia often occurs, and it is much more dangerous. A person in this state is cold, he does not stop trembling, it gradually becomes difficult to move and speak. If you measure the temperature, it will be below 35 °C.
In this case, you need to call an ambulance, get to a warm room, take off wet clothes, cover yourself with something, eat something sweet, drink something warm, but not alcoholic, and move actively if possible.
Read also on ForumDaily:
How to avoid hypothermia in the winter: useful tips
How to protect yourself during snowfall and ice
California city will pay tourists a visit: famous for barbecue and wine
Extreme cold snap is expected in all US states: what to prepare for
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 3147 [name] => cold [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => holod)cold
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 8565 [name] => frost [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => moroz)frost
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12191 [name] => tips [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => sovety)advice
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? - support us donate! Also subscribe to our page Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.