Google turns off Huawei smartphones from Android: what should users prepare for
Google will disconnect the manufacturer of Huawei phones from some updates of the Android operating system.
According to Air force, the new smartphones released by the company will also lose access to the Google app store and popular apps like YouTube and Maps.
Last week, the Trump administration added Huawei to the list of companies with which US firms cannot trade unless they have a special license from the US authorities.
A Google statement said that the company is acting in accordance with this decree and is studying its implications.
Huawei declined to comment.
What does this mean for Huawei users?
Those who already use Huawei smartphones will be able to continue to update applications and security patches, as well as updates to services and applications provided by Google Play.
However, after Google releases the next version of Android by the end of the year, it probably will not be available on Huawei phones.
In the future, Huawei products will not have applications such as YouTube or Maps.
Huawei can still use the Android version of the operating system, which is available under an open source license.
“Huawei is working to build its own gallery of apps and other software assets, similar to their work on chipset solutions,” Ben Wood of CCS Insight told the BBC. "There is no doubt that these efforts are part of the company's desire to control its own destiny."
What is unhappy with the United States?
On May 15, the US Department of Commerce decided to blacklist Huawei for "activities contrary to US national security."
Last week, US President Donald Trump signed a decree introducing a state of emergency to protect US information and communications infrastructure from foreign threats.
Washington believes that Huawei technology can be used by the Chinese intelligence services. Huawei has consistently denied such allegations.
What can Huawei do?
The first reaction from Huawei Technologies CEO Ren Zhengfei came last Saturday when he told the Japanese media, "We have already prepared for this."
He also said that his company will continue to grow and will start producing its own components for the production of smartphones. According to the business newspaper Nikkei, Huawei annually purchases components worth 67 billion.
“Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services for all existing Huawei and Honor smartphones and tablets that are already in use or in stores worldwide,” the Russian representative of the corporation said in a comment on the BBC's request. -si.
However, several governments have already banned telecommunications companies from using Huawei equipment on 5G mobile networks, citing security concerns.
These countries fear that this equipment could be used by the Chinese authorities for surveillance - an accusation that the company's management flatly denies, saying that it does not depend on the PRC authorities in any way.
Until now, the UK has refrained from formally banning.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 4402 [name] => Google [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => google)Google
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 20214 [name] => Editors choice [taxonomy] => category [slug] => vibor-redakcii)Editor's Choice
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 26225 [name] => Android [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => android)Android
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 26889 [name] => Huawei [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => huawei)Huawei
Read also on ForumDaily:
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.