Save time, space and money: how abbreviations make life easier in the USA
With the acceleration of life, writing accelerates. How in the United States use abbreviations to save time, space and money, says the author of the channel Galochka on Yandex.Zen.
We must immediately make a reservation that many, when they say "America", mean its northern continent. In the Americas, countries are called what they should be called. And what we usually mean when we say “America” is called US or USA, which is an abbreviation, by the way. When they say America here, they mean the entire continent, for example, all the countries of South and North America. I hope that this small amendment of mine at the beginning of the article will help some to determine the correct designation of the countries of the American continent.
So here. In the United States, various abbreviations and abbreviations are used everywhere: on road signs, bus routes, in questionnaires, and in the cookbook, finally. Abbreviation as a special way to reduce word formation has become widespread in the twentieth century.
There are several types of abbreviations. I’ll tell you about those that delight me in the USA every day.
For digestible reading of signs on street signs, writing in documents, filling in questionnaires, etc. very simple and viable reductions were adopted. For instance:
- BLVD from boulevard - boulevard; agree, for English the spelling is rather difficult (my favorite abbreviation);
- CSW - causeway, which means highway, pavement;
- PKW - parkway - alley. Agree, it is much more convenient to write an address with this word in abbreviated form;
- HGW - highway - autobahn, expressway;
- TBLSP (TBSP) - table spoon - finally!
We all also know or have heard the following abbreviations:
- CEO - Chief Executive Officer - General Director;
- EVP - Executive Vice President - everything is clear here;
- M.PHIL or MPHIL - Master of Philosophy;
- SVP - Senior Vice President - Senior Vice President.
And here are very convenient abbreviations that are lacking in the Russian language:
- AFAIK - as far as I know. Let's put this into practice, this abbreviation has the right to assimilate into the Russian language! NNZ - as far as I know. Or so - NMI - as far as I know. Why not?
- Or DIY - do it yourself. Do it yourself - CC! Briefly and clearly.
And what is missing specifically for me: in the lines of the questionnaires there are only a couple of millimeters in height and a length of 3 centimeters, and I only have the name of the authority that issued the document should occupy at least 5 such lines! How about writing TP # 5 MZhRNG OUFMS of Russia for MSC OBL in Grodno Chkalov? Someone promote an idea!
The well-known abbreviation - PS This abbreviation can often be found at the end of a letter or appeal. Everything is simple here - PS, which in Latin is post script, even in Russian sounds almost the same - postscript.
But other abbreviations often found in the letter, formed in the Latin language. Please note that they are written in small, capital letters, unlike PS:
- eg - such abbreviation can be seen before listing examples. Latin is exampli gratia, which means “example given” (an example is given);
- etc - comes from the Latin etcetera, which means “and others”;
- ie is a very popular shorthand used throughout. Taken from the Latin id est, meaning “that is” - “what is…” or “what is…”;
- nb - sometimes used at the end of a correspondence and comes from the Latin nota bene, which means “take notice”, “note well”. In Russian - make a note, remember, pay attention.
The most interesting thing when you write an article is that in search of arguments and facts, we continue to develop. For example, for the first time I saw several abbreviations that I did not know before. I hope you enjoy this one -
- BYOB - bring your own bottle, bring your own drinks. This can be found in the description of parties or on the website of the restaurant, if it does not sell alcohol, and parties are allowed to be held with brought drinks. We take into service.
On the subject: 20 free sites for learning English
So, we come to the most important part - saving. Imagine: the size of road signs in the United States is as huge as the portions in restaurants (proportionally), and indeed everything is here. Now let's take into account the cost of creating one road sign (development, application of special reflective materials, etc.) and multiply it by the scale of the whole country ... Further, ourselves.
This is a summary of the US abbreviations used by neighboring countries. There are also acronyms: abbreviations for the first letters of a sentence of several words. For example, the well-known FAQ. But this is the next time.
Original column published on the blog. Galochka on Yandex.Zen
ForumDaily is not responsible for the content of blogs and may not share the views of the author. If you want to become a column author, send your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5954 [name] => English [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => anglijskij-yazyk)English
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13337 [name] => Our people [taxonomy] => category [slug] => nashi-ludi)Our people
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 18337 [name] => life in the USA [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => zhizn-v-ssha)life in the USA
Read also on ForumDaily:
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.