What to do if a hurricane caught you in the car
Along the US east coast, the devastating Hurricane Dorian is raging. It is predicted that the center of the hurricane will move north in a dangerous proximity to the coast from Florida to North Carolina.
If for some reason you did not have time to evacuate, and the hurricane caught you in the car, edition NBC Gathered a few tips on how to act to stay alive.
During the hurricane season, four types of natural events occur in the states affected by them, which can be dangerous for people on the road in a car:
- showers, floods, storm waves;
- lightning strikes;
In the case of showers, floods and storm waves, several rules should be followed:
- Drive on the road in your car only in case of emergency;
- If the rain gets too heavy, park the car on the side of the road or at a gas station and wait out bad weather;
- Never try to drive through a flooded street - even 60 cm of water can carry a car away or cause you to be trapped, unable to exit. Moreover, it is very difficult to assess "by eye" the real depth of the water, so there is no need to risk it.
- It is safer to be in the car during lightning strikes than on the street, but it is still not the safest place.
- If the storm is very strong, park the car on the side of the road, turn it off completely and sit quietly, with your hands on your knees, trying not to touch the things that conduct electricity.
- Do not hide from a thunderstorm under an overpass - this is dangerous for other drivers.
- Hail can fall at speeds up to 160 km per hour, damaging the road, creating pollution on it and breaking the glass of a car.
- Park your car and hide from the hail in the building.
- If there is no building nearby, find a car wash, gas station or any carport, hide the car under it and stay in the car.
- Do not try to run away or overtake a tornado; leave to the side or in the opposite direction from it.
- Do not try to hide under an overpass - this is dangerous for other drivers.
- If a tornado gets too close, leave the car and take cover in a building in any moat or ditch.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1651 [name] => hurricane [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => uragan)Hurricane
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 8408 [name] => car [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => avtomobil)car
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
Read also on ForumDaily:
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.