Czech Republic paid compensation to Russian hacker and apologized for extradition to the United States
The Czech Ministry of Justice paid Russian hacker Yevgeny Nikulin about $ 12 for his extradition to the United States in 000. In addition, the department apologized to him. Writes about it Ukrainian Truth.
The Prague District Court considered Nikulin's claim for compensation for the illegal decision of the then Minister of Justice Robert Pelikan. Nikulin, who was imprisoned in the United States for more than 7 years, demands another $ 59 from the Czech Republic.
Czech police detained Nikulin in October 2016 in Prague on the basis of an American arrest warrant. The admissibility of the extradition of a Russian to the United States was confirmed by the Czech courts, and the consent of the Minister of Justice was a prerequisite for extradition.
Pelikan allowed extradition in March 2018, although at that time the Czech judicial authorities were still considering Nikulin's possible right to asylum during the cassation phase.
The Czech Constitutional Court subsequently sided with the Russian, although in the end he did not receive asylum. The court stated that the minister violated Nikulin's rights.
The amount that the ministry paid Nikulin last October was called disproportionately low by the Russian's lawyer.
“Nikulin recognized the act of deportation as, in fact, abduction and betrayal of his lawyer,” he said in court.
According to him, the client lost confidence in the judicial system and his lawyer, which had a very negative impact on the way he defended himself in the United States.
You may be interested in: top New York news, stories of our immigrants and helpful tips about life in the Big Apple - read it all on ForumDaily New York
The Constitutional Court overturned Pelikan's decision for essentially formal reasons and stressed that it was not yet clear whether Nikulin would really receive compensation.
Russia also tried unsuccessfully to extradite Nikulin, and the clash of the two requests provoked political tensions on the international and domestic arenas.
Last September, a San Francisco court found Nikulin guilty on nine counts of cyberattacks on social networks LinkedIn, Formspring and the Dropbox online store in 2012, as well as stealing data from more than 117 million accounts.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- Nikulin, born in 1987, was detained in Prague on an Interpol warrant in October 2016. In May 2017, a court in the Czech Republic approved Nikulin's extradition to the United States.
- Russia also sought to extradite Nikulin. At home, he was accused of stealing $ 3,4 thousand via the Internet in 2009.
- The Czech Ministry of Justice in March 2018 confirmed that Nikulin was to be extradited to the American side. Soon after that he appeared in court in San Francisco, where he stated that he was not involved in hacker attacks.
- In the United States, Nikulin was accused of committing hacker attacks on objects located in the United States, in particular, hacking computers of the social networks LinkedIn and Formspring and the cloud file storage Dropbox.
- Nikulin denied guilt and even called the accusations revenge of the United States for granting political asylum to Edward Snowden in Russia.
- The trial began in March 2020. In July, a jury found Nikulin guilty. As a result, the court sentenced him to almost 8 years in prison.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 3809 [name] => compensation [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => kompensatsiya)compensation
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 8758 [name] => hacker [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => xaker)hacker
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13337 [name] => Our people [taxonomy] => category [slug] => nashi-ludi)Our people
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28939 [name] => Russian [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => rossijskij)Russian
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.