Armenia and Azerbaijan again agree on a truce: on what conditions
Yerevan and Baku agreed on a humanitarian ceasefire, which entered into force on October 18 at midnight local time. But from the outset, it became clear how fragile the ceasefire that had been achieved was.
The parties came to an agreement following the agreements reached during the talks in Moscow on October 10, as well as the statements of the Presidents of Russia, France and the United States - the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs on Karabakh - on October 1 and 5.
On October 10, the parties agreed on the following main steps of the ceasefire:
- a humanitarian ceasefire for the exchange of prisoners of war and bodies of the dead, mediated by the Red Cross;
- Azerbaijan and Armenia, with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, are starting negotiations with the aim of achieving a peaceful settlement of the conflict as soon as possible.
The truce did not last even a few minutes
The ceasefire did not last even a few minutes - both sides blamed each other for breaking the agreements, writes with the BBC.
On versions of the Azerbaijani side, two minutes after midnight, Armenian forces began shelling the city of Jebrail. The Armenian Foreign Ministry confirmed that the main hostilities are being conducted in the south, but laid the responsibility on Baku.
Nevertheless, on Sunday afternoon, October 18, there were no shelling of settlements.
Press secretary of the President of the unrecognized NKR Vahram Poghosyan stated that with the onset of the ceasefire, "the situation on the front line has calmed down."
Shelling of the pipeline
The General Prosecutor's Office of Azerbaijan on Monday, October 19, announced that Armenia allegedly fired missiles through the Baku-Novorossiysk oil pipeline the day before, which were shot down by the air defense of Azerbaijan, writes with the BBC.
According to a statement by the Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office, Armenian missiles were shot down near the village of Sitalchay on the Caspian coast near Baku, and some debris fell just 250 meters from the pipeline.
A spokeswoman for the Armenian Defense Ministry briefly responded to Azerbaijan's accusations.
"The statement of the Prosecutor General's Office of Azerbaijan about the alleged rocket attack on the Baku-Novorossiysk pipeline is an absolute lie, and the lie does not need comment," Shushan Stepanyan wrote.
Armenia threatens to recognize Nagorno-Karabakh
Armenian President Armen Sarkissian stated that Yerevan is ready to recognize the independence of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, if it becomes clear that Azerbaijan will refuse the dialogue. He also said that he was ready to do everything possible to start the truce process. Kommersant.
“In 1994, an armistice was signed and the Minsk process began. The Armenian side announced: "In order not to complicate the process, we suspend the recognition of Nagorno-Karabakh, we will talk and ultimately agree on the final status of Nagorno-Karabakh." That is, the non-recognition of independence by Armenia is connected only with the fact that the Armenian side wants to resolve the issue through peaceful negotiations. This is such a tunnel. And if at the end of this tunnel there is light, the light of a final peaceful solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh problem, then we can wait a little longer. And if there is no light, that is, if it is clear that Azerbaijan, with the support of Turkey, will in no way go through negotiations, then, naturally, Armenia will recognize the independence of Karabakh, ”Sargsyan said.
According to him, the agreements that were reached in Moscow can start working "if both sides want them to work." Otherwise, according to the President of Armenia, the conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh may develop into a large-scale war, "approximately the same as in Syria."
Let us remind that now the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic is not recognized by any country in the world. Legally, Nagorno-Karabakh is a part of Azerbaijan within its borders officially recognized by the international community.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- After the start of clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh Armenia and Azerbaijan declare martial law... Armenia reported the death of two civilians, Azerbaijan - the death of a family of five and the injury of 19 citizens. In addition, the Armenian military reported the loss of 16 soldiers and the injury of about a hundred more people. Azerbaijan has not officially announced the deaths, Armenia reports the deaths of 200 Azerbaijani soldiers.
- Into the conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh a NATO member country can be involved.
- The conflict began in 1988, when the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region announced its withdrawal from Soviet Azerbaijan. After the armed confrontation in 1992-1994, Baku lost control over the region, as well as over the seven adjacent regions. Since 1992, negotiations have been underway on a peaceful settlement of the conflict within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group, headed by three co-chairs - Russia, the United States and France.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin, French President Emmanuel Macron and US President Donald Trump issued a joint statement. They are called on the parties to the conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh to stop hostilities.
- The ceasefire announced at 12:00 on Saturday 10 October lasted less than a day... The Azerbaijani side blamed Armenia for its disruption, announcing a new shelling of the city of Ganja, as a result of which a residential building was destroyed, at least nine people were killed. The Armenian military deny that they fired at the city and accuse Azerbaijan of violating the ceasefire.
- For the first time in the history of the conflict both sides admitted the strike... The Azerbaijani armed forces attacked the territory of Armenia, destroying the missile system ready for launch.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 257 [name] => Azerbaijan [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => azerbajdzhan)Azerbaijan
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 2357 [name] => Armenia [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => armeniya)Armenia
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12335 [name] => Nagorno-Karabakh [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => nagornyj-karabax)Nagorno-Karabakh
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13334 [name] => In the homeland [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-rodini)At home
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.