Biggest Twitter Attack: 17-Year-Old From Florida Hacked
In the United States, a 17-year-old teenager was arrested on charges of organizing the largest hacker attack on Twitter, during which the accounts of pop stars, politicians and top businessmen were hacked. Writes about it with the BBC.
Attorney Andrew Warren has brought charges against the teenager on 30 counts for "cheating people across the country." In total, three people were arrested in this case, two from the United States and one from the UK.
According to the Hillsborough County District Attorney's Office, the allegations include such serious charges as organized fraud and criminal use of personal information.
During the July 15 hacker attack, the accounts of Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Joe Biden, Barack Obama and Kim Kardashian were uncovered, on behalf of whom calls for Bitcoin donations were posted on Twitter.
As shown by the list of transactions with bitcoins available for public viewing, the 17-year-old hacker was able to get more than $ 100 thousand in cryptocurrency in this way.
“In the event of theft, Bitcoin, which is a cryptocurrency, is difficult to trace and recover,” Attorney Warren said in a statement. - These crimes were committed using the names of celebrities, but they were not the main victims, this fraud was committed against ordinary Americans throughout the country, including here in Florida. This major crime was planned right under our noses and we will not tolerate it. ”
According to Warren, the FBI, the Department of Justice and the intelligence services of several states conducted a coordinated investigation throughout the country, which resulted in the arrest of the suspect in Hillsborough County.
The attorney stressed that the hacker, who lives in Tampa, will be tried under state law, not federal law, since Florida law suggests that he can be charged as an adult.
“We appreciate the prompt response of law enforcement agencies in this investigation and will continue to work with them,” Twitter said in a statement. “For our part, we will be as transparent as possible and will regularly report the details of the case.”
The company also added that it has taken serious steps to restrict access to internal systems and tools while the investigation continues.
The cybersecurity community is of the opinion that attackers have misled Twitter employees during a phone call. Using the so-called phishing technique, Internet scammers in the course of a confidential conversation lull the vigilance of company employees and extorted important information from them, which allowed them to penetrate the operating system.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- Twitter accounts of many famous people underwent a massive hack Wednesday evening, July 15th. Unknown hackers posted messages of the same type with an offer to earn bitcoins.
- “All bitcoins sent to the address below will be returned in double size. If you send 1000 dollars, I will return 2000 dollars. I’ve been doing this only for 30 minutes, ”read businessman Ilon Musk on a Twitter message.
- Similar messages appeared in the accounts of billionaire and Microsoft founder Bill Gates, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, rapper Kanye West, former U.S. President Barack Obama, Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and many other famous people, and also large companies, including Apple and Uber. On the Apple page, after hacking, messages disappeared.
- Judging by the same tweets, the attacks on the pages of the "stars" were coordinated. After some time, the Twitter administration discovered malicious activity and blocked the ability to publish to the owners of verified accounts. Hacker messages have been deleted.
- The near-simultaneous hacking of multiple accounts protected by two-factor authentication suggests that the attackers didn't just hack into individual users' accounts - they had at least indirect access to Twitter's internal tools.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 3282 [name] => twitter [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => twitter)twitter
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 6591 [name] => hacking [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => vzlom)breaking
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 27234 [name] => Incidents [taxonomy] => category [slug] => kriminal)Incidents
Read also on ForumDaily:
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the USA. We have big plans, we don't want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily! WomanForumDaily, NewYork, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.