Abnormal heat in the USA: roads are melting, electrical substations are burning, events are canceled
Anomalous heat has come to America - in some places the temperature has exceeded 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37,8 Celsius), which affects the condition of roads, electricity supply of settlements and public events.
20 July ruthless heat swept the country from the central states to the east coast, as a result of which traditional triathlon and other events in New York were canceled, and cracks and bends appeared on different states' roads due to high temperatures. USA Today.
It is expected that the strongest heat will affect 200 millions of people. The National Meteorological Service has issued warnings of excessive heat in parts of Panhendla, Texas, and into the Ohio Valley, around the Great Lakes, in the mid-Atlantic regions and in the northeast of the country.
The warning of excessive heat is released when it is expected that the combination of temperature and humidity will create the feeling that the air has warmed to 105 degrees (40,5 Celsius) and more.
According to weather forecasters, daytime temperatures closer to 100 degrees (37,8) and higher plus high humidity will lead to the fact that in some regions of the country the temperature will be felt as 115 degrees Fahrenheit (46 Celsius).
Washington, DC, Philadelphia, New York and Boston prepared in advance for three-digit temperatures this weekend. “Code Red” was issued in New York and Baltimore - a warning of increased readiness for extreme heat. It is expected to remain in effect until Sunday.
Weather forecasters warn that night temperatures are unlikely to fall low enough to bring relief, especially in large cities such as Chicago, St. Louis and New York.
In the cities of Vermont and New Hampshire, opened shelters where people can cool a little.
The heat has swept across the country:
- The authorities in New York have canceled the Sunday triathlon. In addition, Mayor Bill De Blasio canceled a two-day open-air OZY Fest in Central Park with football star Megan Rapino, musician John Legend and Daily Show host Trevor Noah.
- De Blasio also commissioned office building owners more than 100 feet (30,5 meters) to install thermostats to 78 degrees Fahrenheit (25,5 Celsius) to save energy.
- In Sioux Falls, South Dakota, I-229 was discontinued after a large stretch of road curved from the heat. Most of the southern lanes of the highway caved in under the heat. Now the movement has been restored.
- In the south of the central part of Kansas, in the vicinity of Wichita, deep cracks were also found in two highways. “The deformation is mainly caused by the fact that concrete, which is harder than asphalt, expands to the point of break in too hot weather,” said Tim Potter, a representative of the Kansas Department of Transportation. - Sometimes pressure can cause concrete to explode. The problem can also arise when laying asphalt on concrete. Dark asphalt absorbs heat and can increase pressure. "
- Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers declared a state of emergency after two fires broke out at electrical substations in Madison. He said that he issued an order to "provide support during a major power outage, which is exacerbated by the intense heat affecting the area."
There is some good news: Monday, July 22, will begin to reduce extreme temperatures from the upper Midwest to the east coast. As a result, cooler and drier weather will settle in most of the plains, the Midwest and the eastern part of the country.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5602 [name] => heat [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => zhara)heat
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 10611 [name] => summer [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => leto)summer
Read also on ForumDaily:
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
No one in the world expected a coronavirus pandemic, but she came in disrupting the usual rhythm of life and work of billions of people, causing panic and uncertainty about tomorrow.
ForumDaily also faced financial difficulties due to the loss of some advertisers due to the economic downturn and quarantine. But we are not reducing the number of materials and the mode of operation, since we want our readers to receive timely and up-to-date information in this difficult time. In addition, we support Local small businesses in the USA that suffer the most.
But ForumDaily is also a small business. Despite the loss of part of the income, we are doing our best to ensure that you are informed and armed with all the necessary knowledge to counter the pandemic and resolve other important issues during quarantine.
To maintain this rhythm of work, we need your help. We will be grateful for any amount that you are willing to allot to support our team.
Let's face the crisis together!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the option "Priority in the show" - and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.