30+ ways to say thank you, please and sorry
The US population is known for its politeness, as well as the many variations of the words "thank you", "please" and "sorry." Channel author "Elena in America" on Yandex.Zen invites you to learn the forms of politeness popular in America.
Formal "thank you":
- Thank you! - Thank!
- Thank you very / so much! - Thanks a lot!
- Thank you for your help! - Thank you for your help!
- Thank you for everything! - Thanks for all!
- Thank you for…. - Thanks for ... (+ noun or gerund)
- I appreciate it! - I appreciate it. (what someone did)
Informal "thank you":
- Thanks ever so much! - Thank you so much!
- Thanks very much! - Thanks a lot!
- Thanks a million! - Thank you million!
- Thanks a lot! - Thank you!
- Thanks a bunch! - Many thanks!
- I owe you one! - I owe you!
- I owe you big! - I am in your great debt!
- I owe you big-time! - I am in your debt on a grand scale!
On the subject: Learn English by movie: top paintings by language proficiency
- You're welcome! - You are welcome!
- You're most welcome! - Great please!
- My pleasure! - I myself was pleased. (help someone)
- Don't mention it. - Don't even thank. / Not worth the thanks. (not met anywhere except textbooks)
- It was nothing! - It's my pleasure!
- No problem! - No problem!
- No trouble! - No problem!
- Not at all! - It's my pleasure!
- No worries! - No problem!
- No sweat! - Yes, not even sweating! (while helping) - slang
- Any time! - (Contact) anytime!
Excuse me: "Excuse me" - when, by and large, there is nothing to apologize for - you have not done anything wrong:
- before contacting someone to get attention: Excuse me. Can you help me, please?
- when someone stands in your way and blocks him, and you need to go;
- when you leave the table in the middle of a meal;
- after you sneeze, cough, or after burping;
- when you do not understand something, do not hear and want to be repeated (with interrogative intonation);
- when you want to express your disagreement: Excuse me, but I don't agree.
- when you are terribly outraged by what you were told, and demand an explanation (with sarcasm) with this phrase: Excuse me. I am stupid? How dare you?
Pardon me: = I beg your pardon - “excuse me”, “I beg your pardon” - more formal and less commonly used; means the same as “excuse me”:
- I beg your pardon? - I apologize?
(I am) sorry: “I'm sorry”, “I'm guilty”, “I sympathize” - when something bad has already happened:
- you regret and repent: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you.
- you express sympathy that someone has had trouble: I'm very sorry for your loss. - I am very sorry for your loss. (On funeral)
On the subject: 7 traps in English, from which no one is safe
I apologize / My apologies: “I'm sorry” (“My apologies”) is a more formal apology for your own wrong:
- I apologize for hurting your feelings.
- Please accept my sincere apologies. “Please accept my sincere regrets.
Forgive me: “Forgive me”, “Forgive me” - we experience deep, sincere remorse and regret:
- Please forgive me for what I've done. “Please forgive me for what I did.
Original column published on the blog. "Elena in America" on Yandex.Zen.
ForumDaily is not responsible for the content of blogs and may not share the views of the author. If you want to become a column author, send your materials to email@example.com
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5954 [name] => English [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => anglijskij-yazyk)English
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 18038 [name] => language learning [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => izuchenie-yazyka)language learning
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28347 [name] => Special projects [taxonomy] => category [slug] => specproekty)Special Projects
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 28488 [name] => LEARN ENGLISH [taxonomy] => special [slug] => anglijskij-yazyk)
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.