11 things you can’t do in order not to miss the dream job
Everyone has in mind a company in which I would like to work. Everything is perfect there: from salary to working conditions. But they do not respond to your resume there. Or they invite for an interview, but do not call back. AdMe.ru tells what mistakes prevent you from getting a dream job.
Here are the top 11 things that should not be done by those who are in search of an ideal job.
1. To write too long or too short resume
The first common mistake is that you filled out only the required points of the questionnaire, the summary came out short and meager, as if it were a robot. But remember: you only have a few minutes to grab the attention of the person who reads your resume. “Many” is not equal to “good”: a long text scatters attention, and reading it takes a lot of time, which directors usually do not have.
- The administration of the job search resource has collected stop words and even phrases that should not be used in your resume: “creative”, “creative”, “motivated”, “learner”, “sociable”, “I provide recommendations upon request”.
- Replace voluminous words with action verbs: “implemented”, “organized”, “reduced costs”, “increased income”.
2. Disregard the preparation of the cover letter
If you decide to apply for a job, you need to write a cover letter. Why is it important? The employer will first see the text that you wrote to him, and only then will decide whether to get acquainted with your resume.
- Start with a greeting: contact the person who directly oversees the vacancy. If a specific employee is not specified, you can use the standard courtesy formulas: “Dear ladies and gentlemen!”
- The writing style should be consistent with company policy. For most employers, this is a consistent business style. It is a win-win for 95% of the vacancies posted on the Internet. The remaining 5% - Hi-tech, creative, IT-startup, private and small companies with niche products - allow more free and emotional handling.
- Be sure to check the text for errors and duplicate your contact information at the end of the letter.
3. Respond to all offers in a row
You have compiled an excellent resume and hurry to show it and yourself to the labor market. Do not hurry. Highlight the companies where you really want to work, and those in which you have at least one real chance to get. Sending resumes to uninteresting companies, attending potentially useless interviews is a waste of time if you are not a student who needs to gain experience.
- Focus on the main thing: refuse dubious offers and do not agree to several interviews in one day. Such a schedule will take a lot of energy, and after several failures self-confidence can be shaken. As a result, you will appear before a really important employer, a tired and exhausted person.
4. Superficially explore the company of your dreams
Another mistake awaits you at the stage of preparation for the interview. You are going to meet with a recruiter, but what do you know about the company you are going to? It is not enough to read the section "about us" on the main page of the site. Jon Youshaei, Forbes journalist, advises in his article subscribe to the blog of the company in which you want to work, and follow the news, achievements of the company. Possession of information will show that you were preparing for an interview and are interested in further cooperation.
- To really be in the know and not to miss anything, use the Google Alerts plugin, which will notify you of news on the site. It is useful to study not only official sources, but also the reviews of employees about work in the company. So you can learn about the nuances of the service, look at the company from the inside.
5. Save the mess on social networks
The Reppler service conducted a survey among recruiters and found out interesting facts about the relationship between job search and your social networks. The study says that 91% of people employed in the hiring process use various resources to find the right candidate, but more worrying is the fact that 69% of those polled are able to decline a potential employee’s resume due to inappropriate content.
- Remember the scandal when one of the main top models of our time, 22-year-old American Gigi Hadid was suspended from participating in the Victoria's Secret 2017 show in China. The reason for this was a video in which she squinted her eyes and showed subscribers a cookie in the form of a Buddha. Do not repeat the mistakes of others: clean up the page, delete content that may discredit you.
6. Thoughtlessly approach the dialogue at the interview
- Mistake No. 1. Starting a conversation, you do not name the position you are applying for. Support your active and confident position with the words: “I want to work in a position ...”
- Mistake No. 2. When asked what you were doing at your previous job, you begin to say anonymously: “We specialized in ...” The employer is not interested in the area of activity of the past company, he wants to know what projects you were involved in, what you learned.
- Mistake number 3. If you are asked about professional achievements, try to talk about them in the form of quantifiable indicators, for example, money, time, interest.
- Mistake No. 4. When you are asked about previous work experience, it is better to build a dialogue like this: first tell us about the last place of work, and then move back to the first professional practice.
7. Choose the wrong time for an interview
Journalist Kate Parham, having studied Accountemps 2008 and Andrew Bradbury's Successful Presentation Skills, determined that the best time to talk about work was Tuesday morning around 10:30. Of course, this does not mean that the interview on other days will go badly. But, when accepting an invitation from a recruiter, follow a few rules.
- Do not make an appointment early in the morning or at the end of the working day. Usually during these hours comes the maximum emotional load. And who needs a conversation on elevated tones?
- Avoid time before and after lunch. Indeed, in one case, a person may be in a hurry, and in the second, he may be late.
- Avoid shortened and public holidays. There is a chance to catch an inattentive and superficial attitude.
8. Being too emotional or constrained
If you were invited to an interview with a dream company, you are nervous. This is normal. But try to leave a pleasant aftertaste. If you are obsessive, then you will not be loved. If you start to conflict and argue, you will not be accepted. If you shut yourself in and be silent, you will become uninteresting for conversation.
- Try to overcome your excitement, think in advance what you will talk about, rehearse in front of the mirror. A good impression is the key to success.
9. Use parasite words
When we start to get nervous, “parasites” take this opportunity and begin to get up after each spoken word. Confident and professional people are annoyed. Tina Seelig Ph.D., Ph.D. and professor at Stanford School of Engineering, admits: “When you see me making tiny notes in a resume, it is likely that I count how many times you have spoken the word parasite. This is the easiest way to exclude a potential candidate. ”
- Watch your words, pay attention to your “types”, “like”, “shorter” and do not try to use youth slang. To determine the clutter of speech, turn on the recorder at home and try to answer an impromptu question without preparation.
10. Pay attention only to the interviewer.
When you come for an interview, it is a mistake to believe that you need to communicate only with the interviewer. After your departure, the recruiter is certain he will ask his colleagues what impression you made on others, so be polite to everyone, smile, maintain a conversation or eye contact. Shares this tip Alexey Shteingardt, CEO of the Hays recruiting company in Russia, in his article. It’s very easy to show good manners, for example, say hello to the security guard at the entrance, keep up the conversation with the secretary.
On the subject: 17 amazing things people decide to get a job
11. Do not care about appearance
Before you start negotiations, carefully think about your appearance. First, try to answer the question of what you want to tell the employer with your clothes.
- If you want to show that you are a responsible person to rely on, choose the blue color for your suit. It is associated with nobility, confidence and calm. A gray, black or brown shade will also be a good solution.
- And the impression of an ebullient and frivolous employee will be made by combinations of bright defiant shades, such as green, orange or yellow. Try to avoid them.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 2852 [name] => work [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => rabota)work
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. And don't forget to subscribe to ForumDaily Woman and ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.