10 informal English words for all occasions that are not in the dictionary
They say that it is impossible to consider yourself a language connoisseur until you master his slang. Zen.Yandex suggests learning a dozen great - or at least spectacular - English words that can be used informally in a variety of situations. And you won't find them in the dictionary.
- Thingamajig, doofer, whatchamacallit
Most likely, you know the word thing - a thing. Sometimes the slang word stuff is also used. But this is all boring. Because it is:
- whatchamacallit (what you may call it - how is it there).
- I went to the restaurant and ordered the plate with shrimp and the other side ... whatchamacallit.
- I was in a restaurant and ordered a plate of shrimps and how are they ...
- What't this doofer for?
- What is this bullshit for?
The word can be used both as a verb and as a noun.
It means “quarrel, squabble” or, accordingly, “quarrel, squabble”.
- Don't argy-bargy with such dummies.
- Don't argue with such assholes.
- I couldn't think about you after this argy-bargy.
“I couldn't think of you after this quarrel.
Your knees are higher because the party starts! Unlike party, this word means some very informal party.
- It was the best knees-up I've ever been invited to.
- It was the best party I have ever been invited to.
Suck, shirk, juggle, pretend to be a hose, skip - whatever you want.
- After that knees-up I had such a beastly hangover, so I decided to skive work.
- After that party I had such a wild hangover that I decided to skip work.
- Tosh, baloney, taradiddle, twaddle
This word is called either a lie, a lie. Or so they say when someone is full of nonsense, heresy, nonsense.
- Stop the baloney, Leslie.
“Stop talking nonsense, Leslie.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellanea
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5954 [name] => English [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => anglijskij-yazyk)English
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 10768 [name] => foreign language [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => inostrannyj-yazyk)foreign language
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 22113 [name] => learn English [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => uchim-anglijskij)learn english
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? - support us donate! Also subscribe to our page Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram and Instagram- there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily New York – there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information about life in the metropolis.