10 informal English words for all occasions that are not in the dictionary
They say that it is impossible to consider yourself a language connoisseur until you master his slang. Zen.Yandex suggests learning a dozen great - or at least spectacular - English words that can be used informally in a variety of situations. And you won't find them in the dictionary.
- Thingamajig, doofer, whatchamacallit
Most likely, you know the word thing - a thing. Sometimes the slang word stuff is also used. But this is all boring. Because it is:
- whatchamacallit (what you may call it - how is it there).
- I went to the restaurant and ordered the plate with shrimp and the other side ... whatchamacallit.
- I was in a restaurant and ordered a plate of shrimps and how are they ...
- What't this doofer for?
- What is this bullshit for?
The word can be used both as a verb and as a noun.
It means “quarrel, squabble” or, accordingly, “quarrel, squabble”.
- Don't argy-bargy with such dummies.
- Don't argue with such assholes.
- I couldn't think about you after this argy-bargy.
“I couldn't think of you after this quarrel.
Your knees are higher because the party starts! Unlike party, this word means some very informal party.
- It was the best knees-up I've ever been invited to.
- It was the best party I have ever been invited to.
Suck, shirk, juggle, pretend to be a hose, skip - whatever you want.
- After that knees-up I had such a beastly hangover, so I decided to skive work.
- After that party I had such a wild hangover that I decided to skip work.
- Tosh, baloney, taradiddle, twaddle
This word is called either a lie, a lie. Or so they say when someone is full of nonsense, heresy, nonsense.
- Stop the baloney, Leslie.
“Stop talking nonsense, Leslie.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellaneous
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5954 [name] => English [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => anglijskij-yazyk)English
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 10768 [name] => foreign language [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => inostrannyj-yazyk)foreign language
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 22113 [name] => learn English [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => uchim-anglijskij)learn english
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.